Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why support for diving board case is assume as pin/roll?

1. Dec 5, 2015 #1
    Sorry for silly question, but have been wondering.
    Diving board it is bolted to the ground(base platform) (vertically), why not assume it as fix. the way bolt is secured is same direction as the load, hence it is not easy/resist to rotate up and down like pin or hinge. so there is moment. Isn't?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2015 #2
    Are you comparing a hypothetical diving board with a real one? I can't really follow your question. Try explaining what is confusing you more fully.

4. Dec 5, 2015 #3
    Capture.png
    http://[url=http://postimg.org/image/fqof29xxj/][PLAIN]http://s15.postimg.org/fqof29xxj/Capture.jpg [Broken]I'm pretty sure the end of beam(bolted) will be considered as pin(from many example I have seen).
    however 2 bolts is bolted vertically (not sideway like huge pin), that mean it the beam to go up and down as pin. So shouldn't it be fix?

EDIT: Pics source from google

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Dec 5, 2015 #4
    From your second picture, it is certainly bolted to something. Is that part rigidly attached to the base?

6. Dec 5, 2015 #5
    I would say it is just bolted by two fastener to base, and assuming the body is rigid when try to find the reaction force.

7. Dec 5, 2015 #6
    One of the pictures you have didn't come through properly. Did it also have springs?

8. Dec 5, 2015 #7
    Nevermind, ignore the picture that didn't come through properly. Only 1 pics.

9. Dec 5, 2015 #8
    So. If I wanted to make a homework problem for highschool students, or anyone who hasn't learned about beam deflection, I would model it with a pin. They could calculate reaction forces and maybe spring compression, all while assuming the beam was a rigid body.
    After learning about beam deflection, I would model it rigidly attached.
    Who is the intended audience for the model that confused you?

10. Dec 5, 2015 #9
    yes to find reaction force, we would assume the beam is rigid at first.
    However my work colleague ask me why we would use pin support and not fixed support at the end of beam? Because from the pics, the bolt prevent the beam from rotate(unlike pin which easy to rotate) which would match with the characteristic of fix support. so that is the thing that I need to justify.

11. Dec 5, 2015 #10
    What is the context? Who are you modeling this for?

12. Dec 5, 2015 #11

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook