Why symplectic symmetry has N(N+1)/2 generators?

In summary: This explains why Sp(N) symmetry has N(N+1)/2 generators in quantum field theory, as stated in Peskin and Schroeder's book. Thank you for your kind help.In summary, the Sp(N) symmetry has N(N+1)/2 generators in quantum field theory, as stated in Peskin and Schroeder's book. This is because a symplectic matrix M has N(N+1)/2 independent components, as determined by the conditions in the equations presented. Thank you for your kind help.
ndung200790
Please teach me this:
Why Sp(N) symmetry has N(N+1)/2 generators?(QFT of Peskin and Schroeder).
Thank you very much for your kind helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
ndung200790 said:
Please teach me this:
Why Sp(N) symmetry has N(N+1)/2 generators?(QFT of Peskin and Schroeder).
Thank you very much for your kind helping.

A symplectic matrix is an [itex]N \times N[/itex] matrix [itex]M[/itex] ([itex]N[/itex] must be even) that satisfies

[tex] M^T \Omega M = \Omega ,~~\Omega =\begin{pmatrix} 0 & I_{N/2} \\ -I_{N/2} & 0 \end{pmatrix},~~~(*) [/tex]

where [itex]I_{I/2}[/itex] is the [itex]N/2[/itex] dimensional unit matrix. In terms of a parameterization into [itex]N/2 \times N/2[/itex] matrices,

[tex] M = \begin{pmatrix} A& B \\ C & D \end{pmatrix}, [/tex]

(*) becomes the three equations

[tex] A^T D - C^T B = I,~~ A^T C = C^T A,~~ D^T B = B^T C.[/tex]

The first of these let's us solve for, say [itex]D[/itex] in terms of the other three, so it is equivalent to [itex](N/2)^2[/itex] conditions on [itex]M[/itex]. The other equations demand that [itex] A^T C [/itex] and [itex]D^T B[/itex] are symmetric matrices. They therefore determine half of the off-diagonal components of these objects and are each equivalent to

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \frac{N}{2}\left(\frac{N}{2} -1\right)[/tex]

conditions on [itex]M[/itex].

The number of independent components of the symplectic matrix [itex]M[/itex] is therefore

[tex] N^2 - \left( \frac{N}{2}\right)^2 - 2 \frac{1}{2} \frac{N}{2}\left(\frac{N}{2} -1\right) = \frac{N(N+1)}{2}.[/tex]

1. What is symplectic symmetry?

Symplectic symmetry is a type of mathematical symmetry that describes the conservation of certain quantities, such as energy and momentum, in physical systems. In other words, it is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of physical systems.

2. Why does symplectic symmetry have N(N+1)/2 generators?

This specific number of generators, N(N+1)/2, is based on a mathematical property called the Lie algebra. In symplectic geometry, this number represents the maximum number of independent symmetries that can exist in a given system.

3. How is symplectic symmetry related to Hamiltonian mechanics?

Symplectic symmetry is closely related to Hamiltonian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for describing the dynamics of physical systems. In fact, symplectic symmetry is often used to prove the validity of Hamiltonian mechanics in physical systems.

4. Can symplectic symmetry be broken?

Yes, symplectic symmetry can be broken in certain physical systems. This typically occurs when there are external forces acting on the system, or when the system is in a highly chaotic state. However, the overall principles of symplectic symmetry still hold true in most physical systems.

5. What are some practical applications of symplectic symmetry?

Symplectic symmetry has numerous applications in physics, including in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics. It is also used in engineering and other fields to model and analyze complex systems. Additionally, symplectic symmetry plays a crucial role in our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics, such as conservation of energy and momentum.