1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why the curve r(t) approaches a circle as t approaches infinity

1. Sep 25, 2013 #1
    Both statements 1 and 2 are given as an explanation of why the original statement is true, but I don't understand why you can use statement 2 (since in the original vector equation you do not have Sin2(t), -Cos2(t))

Show why r(t) = <e-t, Sin(t), -Cos(t)> approaches a circle as t →∞.

1. As t→∞, x(t)→0

2. And as t→∞, (y(t))2+(z(t))2=1

What I do not see, intuitively, is why the second statement is used and how it shows that r(t) = <e-t, Sin(t), -Cos(t)> approaches a circle as t →∞.

I keep thinking that as t→∞, Sin(t) and -Cos(t) do not exist (the functions oscillate). And I don't understand how 2., (y(t))2+(z(t))2=1, relates beck to the original vector equation, Sin(t), -Cos(t)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Try this simpler question. Explain why r(t) = <0, sin(t), -cos(t)> is a circle. If you can do that you're 90% of the way to answering this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted