Find the osculating plane and the curvature

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the osculating plane at an arbitrary point on a curve and computing the binormal vector and curvature using formulas involving the cross product. The cross product results in a lengthy expression, but the speaker has found a way to simplify it by breaking up the curve into smaller components.
Bptrhp
Homework Statement
Find the osculating plane and the curvature of the curve ##r(t)=(a \cos(t)+b \sin(t), a \sin(t)+ b\cos(t), c \sin(2t)),t\in\mathbb{R}##
Relevant Equations
##B(t)=\dfrac{r'(t)\times r''(t)}{||r'(t)\times r''(t)||} ## and ##\kappa=\dfrac{||r'(t)\times r''(t)||}{||r'(t)||^3}.##
I know the osculating plane is normal to the binormal vector ##B(t)=(a,b,c)##. And since the point on which I am supposed to find the osculating plane is not given, I'm trying to find the osculating plane at an arbitrary point ##P(x_0,y_0,z_0)##. So, if ##R(x,y,z)## is a point on the plane, the equation is given by:

##\langle (R-P),B(t)\rangle=0 \, \Rightarrow \,\langle(x-x_0,y-y_0,z-z_0),(a,b,c)\rangle=0\, \Rightarrow \, a(x-x_0)+b(y-y_0)+c(z-z_0)=0.##

The problem is, I tried to compute the binormal vector using the formula
\begin{align*}
B(t)=\dfrac{r'(t)\times r''(t)}{||r'(t)\times r''(t)||}
\end{align*}
but the result of the cross product between ##r'(t)=(-a \sin(t)+b \cos(t),a \cos(t)-b \sin(t), 2c \cos(2t))## and ##r''(t)=(-a \cos(t)-b \sin(t), -a \sin(t)- b\cos(t), -4c \sin(2t))## got very long.

For the curvature, I have a similar problem, since I'm trying to use the formula
\begin{align*}
\kappa=\dfrac{||r'(t)\times r''(t)||}{||r'(t)||^3}.
\end{align*}
I have no idea whether I'm on the right track. I appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I found it a bit easier breaking up r as ##(a,b,0)\cos(t)+(b,a,0)\sin(t)+(0,0,c)\sin(2t)##, and maintaining that through the differentiations. When it comes to the cross product, some combinations are easily discarded as zero.
Still pretty messy, though.

Likes Bptrhp and etotheipi

1. What is the osculating plane?

The osculating plane is a mathematical concept used to describe the curvature of a curve at a specific point. It is the unique plane that best approximates the curve at that point, meaning that the curve and the plane have the same tangent line and curvature at that point.

2. How is the osculating plane calculated?

The osculating plane is calculated using the first and second derivatives of the curve at the given point. The first derivative gives the slope of the tangent line, while the second derivative gives the rate of change of the slope, also known as the curvature. These two values are used to determine the orientation and location of the osculating plane.

3. What is the significance of the osculating plane?

The osculating plane is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. By knowing the orientation and location of the osculating plane, we can determine the direction of the curve's curvature and predict how the curve will continue to behave in the future.

4. How is curvature related to the osculating plane?

Curvature is a measure of how much a curve deviates from a straight line at a given point. The osculating plane is the unique plane that has the same curvature as the curve at that point. In other words, the curvature of the curve can be thought of as the measure of the curvature of the osculating plane.

5. How is the concept of osculating plane used in real-world applications?

The concept of osculating plane has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. It is used to analyze the behavior of objects in motion, design smooth and efficient curves for roads and roller coasters, and create realistic 3D models of objects in computer graphics.