Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why the orbitals can contain maximum of 2 electrons?

1. Jan 28, 2015 #1
    why orbitals like s, px, py, pz etc can hold maximum of 2 electrons?
    Why not some other number?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jan 28, 2015 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Electrons have spin 1/2, so they just have two different states (called "up" and "down"). The Pauli exclusion principle does not allow multiple electrons in the same state.

5. Jan 29, 2015 #4
    The link is assuming that we are aware that the orbital can hold maximum of two electrons and then assigning 1/2 and -1/2 spins to two electrons.
    Why in Pauli exclusion principle the electrons have 1/2 and -1/2 spin accounting for 2 electrons?
    For example if we have 1/4 spin, then we can have 4 electrons in an orbital, with 2 electrons having 1/4 spin and other 2 -1/4 spin.

6. Jan 29, 2015 #5

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Spin 1/4 is impossible - its a basic property of spin as just about any book on QM will derive eg see page 144 of Dirac - Principles Of QM which is the book the came to hand. It can only be values +-n/2 where n is an integer. It turns out for electrons, as explained by Quantum Field Theory, they have only values +-1/2.

Thanks
    Bill

7. Jan 29, 2015 #6
    Not read that book. I think it is taught in university. Is that true?
    Well I was reading a high school level stuff.

8. Jan 29, 2015 #7

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

That being the case you just have to take our word for it.

Thanks
    Bill

9. Jan 29, 2015 #8
    Okay and thanks, but why are you thanking Bill. I nowhere find Bill in the discussion.

10. Jan 29, 2015 #9

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am Bill - that's what the b in bhobba is.

Its just acknowledging the reader going to the trouble to read and consider what I wrote.

Many moons ago when I was a team leader doing programming work my director always signed her communications like that and I, being on the receiving end of it, thought it nice enough that I should reciprocate.

As a young person starting out its something to think about as well. Over the years I have unfortunately found, and I am far from immune to this, that those involved in highly technical pursuits sometimes forget we are dealing with human beings and this type of thing keeps you grounded.

Thanks
    Bill

11. Jan 29, 2015 #10
    Yeah understood

Thanks for the explanation
    Raghav

12. Jan 29, 2015 #11
    OFF-TOPIC:

Omg. I just have to say that I laughed for like 2mins after reading this. So funny mate!

13. Jan 29, 2015 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

To extend that: particles with spin 1 can have +1, 0 and -1, particles with spin 3/2 can have +3/2, +1/2, -1/2, -3/2 and so on. Particles with spin 0 have no choice.
    The exclusion principle applies to fermions only, those are particles with non-integer spin values (1/2, 3/2, ...).

14. Jan 29, 2015 #13
    Thanks. Not read about this earlier. Will see to it some time later.

15. Jan 30, 2015 #14

DrDu

Science Advisor

And I always thought that it is an indian name! :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook