Why the sequence is not convergent?

In summary, the conversation discusses an example of a Cauchy sequence which is not convergent, using the metric of a set of all bounded continuous real functions. The sequence is defined as f_n(x)=1 if 0 \leq x \leq 1/2, f_n(x)=(-2)^n(x-1/2)+1 if 1/2 \leq x \leq 1/2+(1/2)^n, and f_n(x)=0 if 1/2+(1/2)^n\leq x \leq 1. It is shown that this sequence does not converge in the space, and a brief overview is given on how to prove it.
symbol0
In a book I am reading, they mention the following as an example of a Cauchy sequence which is not convergent:
Consider the set of all bounded continuous real functions defined on the closed unit interval, and let the metric of the set be
d(f,g)=[tex]\int_0^1 \! |f(x)-g(x)| \, dx[/tex].
Let [tex](f_n)[/tex] be a sequence in this space defined as:
[tex]f_n(x)=1[/tex] if [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1/2[/tex]
[tex]f_n(x)=(-2)^n(x-1/2)+1[/tex] if [tex]1/2 \leq x \leq 1/2+(1/2)^n[/tex]
[tex]f_n(x)=0[/tex] if [tex]1/2+(1/2)^n\leq x \leq 1[/tex]

I can see that this is a Cauchy sequence, but I can't see how this sequence does not converge. I would say that it converges to:
[tex]f_n(x)=0[/tex] if [tex]1/2 < x \leq 1[/tex]

I would appreciate if anybody can help me to see why this sequence does not converge.

Physics news on Phys.org
symbol0 said:
I can see that this is a Cauchy sequence, but I can't see how this sequence does not converge. I would say that it converges to:
[tex]f_n(x)=0[/tex] if [tex]1/2 < x \leq 1[/tex]
I'm going to assume you meant to say something like the following.
I would say that it converges to the function f defined by
[tex]f(x)=1[/tex] if [tex]0 \leq x \leq 1/2[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=0[/tex] if [tex]1/2 < x \leq 1[/tex][/quote]​

I would appreciate if anybody can help me to see why this sequence does not converge.
A good way to see these things is to try and prove that it does, and see where things fail. You need to:
(1) Show that f is well-defined
(2) Show that [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow +\infty} d(f_n, f) = 0[/itex]
Try it out, and let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the reply Hurkyl,
First of all , I think this sequence is not really in the mentioned space because when n is even, the functions are not continuous.
But even if we take only the functions with odd n, I think the sequence converges to the function I wrote, but this function is not continuous, so it is not in the space.
Thus the sequence does not converge in the space.

Am I right?

symbol0 said:
I think the sequence converges to the function I wrote, but this function is not continuous, so it is not in the space.
That last part is the key thing here -- f is not in the space.

In fact, technically speaking, d was only defined for pairs of elements in the space, so it would be wrong to say that the sequence converges to f! You only get that convergence when looking at the larger space

Thanks Hurkyl

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm having a problem seeing how this sequence is cauchy. I used the metric on an arbitrary f_n(x) and f_m(x), but I ended up with constants and other terms that I couldn't make arbitrarily small by taking m and n large enough. Could someone give me a brief overview of how to prove it?

[itex]f_n[/itex] and [itex]f_m[/itex], with m> n, differ only on the interval from [itex]1/2+ 1/2^m[/itex] to [itex]1/2+ 1/2^n[/itex] a length of
[tex]\frac{2^m- 2^n}{2^{m+n}}[/tex]
which goes to 0 as m and n go to infinity.

The integrand doesn't have to go to 0, it only has to be bounded. As the length of the interval goes to 0, the integral will go to 0.

1. What is a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers in which the terms get closer and closer to a single value as the sequence progresses. In other words, the terms of the sequence approach a specific limit.

2. What causes a sequence to not be convergent?

There are several reasons why a sequence may not be convergent. One common reason is that the terms of the sequence do not approach a single limit, but instead oscillate between values. Another reason could be that the sequence has infinitely many terms, making it impossible to approach a single value.

3. How can you tell if a sequence is convergent?

To determine if a sequence is convergent, you can look at the behavior of the terms as the sequence progresses. If the terms get closer and closer to a single value, the sequence is convergent. Additionally, you can use mathematical tests and theorems, such as the limit comparison test or the Cauchy criterion, to formally prove if a sequence is convergent.

4. Can a divergent sequence become convergent?

No, a divergent sequence cannot become convergent. A sequence can either be convergent, meaning it approaches a single limit, or divergent, meaning it does not approach a single limit. Once a sequence is determined to be divergent, it will always remain divergent.

5. How can you deal with a non-convergent sequence in mathematical calculations?

If you encounter a non-convergent sequence in a mathematical calculation, you can either try to find a different sequence that approaches the same limit, if one exists, or you can use other mathematical techniques, such as series expansions or numerical methods, to approximate the desired value.