Limit of limits of linear combinations of indicator functions

In summary, there is a sequence of functions ##0\leq f_1\leq f_2\leq ... \leq f_n \leq ...##, each defined in ##\mathbb{R}^n## with values in ##\mathbb{R}##. Additionally, ##f_n\uparrow f## and every ##f_i## is the limit (almost everywhere) of "step" functions, which are linear combinations of rectangles indicator functions. The question is whether it can be proven that ##f## is also the limit of "step" functions in the sense of pointwise convergence, possibly except on a measure-zero set of ##\mathbb{R}^n##.
Unconscious
I have a sequence of functions ##0\leq f_1\leq f_2\leq ... \leq f_n \leq ...##, each one defined in ##\mathbb{R}^n## with values in ##\mathbb{R}##. I have also that ##f_n\uparrow f##.
Every ##f_i## is the limit (almost everywhere) of "step" functions, that is a linear combination of rectangles indicator functions.

Is there a way to prove that also ##f## is the limit of "step" functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Unconscious said:
Is there a way to prove that also is the limit of "step" functions?
In what sense? You certainly will have [itex]\int \vert f-f_{n} \vert \rightarrow 0 [/itex] but I think you will have problems with other metrics .

I mean pointwise convergence, optionally except on a measure-zero set of ##\mathbb{R}^n##.

1. What is the definition of a linear combination of indicator functions?

A linear combination of indicator functions is a mathematical expression that is a sum of multiples of indicator functions. Indicator functions are functions that take on the value of 1 if a certain condition is met and 0 otherwise.

2. How are limits of linear combinations of indicator functions defined?

The limit of a linear combination of indicator functions is defined as the limit of the sum of the multiples of the indicator functions as the independent variable approaches a certain value. This value is typically denoted as x0.

3. What is the significance of the limit of limits of linear combinations of indicator functions?

The limit of limits of linear combinations of indicator functions is important in understanding the behavior of functions as the independent variable approaches a certain value. It can also be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.

4. How is the limit of limits of linear combinations of indicator functions calculated?

The limit of limits of linear combinations of indicator functions can be calculated using techniques such as L'Hopital's rule or by simplifying the expression and evaluating the limit directly.

5. What are some real-world applications of limits of linear combinations of indicator functions?

Limits of linear combinations of indicator functions have applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. In economics, they can be used to model production functions. In physics, they can be used to describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields. In engineering, they can be used to analyze the stability of systems.