InquilineKea Messages 1 Reaction score 0 Thread starter Jan 24, 2008 #1 So I'm kind of confused about the definition: [tex]a-b\in I[/tex] Why a - b instead of a + b?
waht Messages 1,502 Reaction score 4 Jan 24, 2008 #2 Are you trying to prove that a-b is an equivalence relation? Can you be more specific? Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
morphism Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 2,014 Reaction score 4 Jan 24, 2008 #3 It's actually natural to write a-b because I becomes zero when you quotient out by it, so a-b in I means a-b=0 or, written differently, a=b.
It's actually natural to write a-b because I becomes zero when you quotient out by it, so a-b in I means a-b=0 or, written differently, a=b.
mathwonk Science Advisor Homework Helper Messages 12,042 Reaction score 2,342 Jan 27, 2008 #4 you would presumably want a equivalent to a, which follows from a-a in I, rather than a+a in I.