Why use an induction coil for spark gap experiments instead of an alternator

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
raezair
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
I'm just wondering about what benefits there are to building / using an induction coil as opposed to other devices to create devices for spark gap experiments.

I am referring to the induction coils with a primary winding and secondary windings with enormous numbers of turns - similar to experiments that I have been seeing that duplicate the experiments of the early electrical pioneers - non induction heating coils.

Wouldn't one be able to create a spark gap, for experimenting with, by use of a custom built alternator to do the same thing as the induction coil does without the requirement of having to build a device that requires up to hundreds of thousands of turns in the secondary winding?

is there any real benefit to using an induction coil?

disclaimer: I'm not an engineer so this is perhaps a very basic question for some of you.

your thoughts??,
thanks
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are describing a Tesla Coil. Those can be dangerous, but with the right precautions, a good project.

But an old fashioned auto ignition system doesn't need a Tesla Coil, or a secondary.

raezair said:
a device that requires up to hundreds of thousands of turns in the secondary winding?
That statement makes me suspect that you are very unrealistic in your expectations. Probably that was the reason nobody else answered until now.