Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why variables in directly proportinality are multipiled

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    Why variables (RHS) in directly proportionality are always multiplied.

Suppose the newton 2nd law

##{F}\propto{m}##

##{F}\propto{a}##

##{F}\propto{m*a}##

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you know that for variables Q, a, and b, if you know ##Q \propto a##, and that ##Q \propto b## then you also know that ##Q\propto ab## ...

This is because that is what "directly proportional to" means.

Similarly if ##Q\propto a## and ##Q\propto 1/b## then ##Q\propto a/b##

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3
    If
    ##Q \propto a##
    ##Q \propto b##

then you also know that

##Q\propto (a+b)##
    this can aslo be true why multiply.

5. Apr 17, 2014 #4
    This isn't true.

The constant of proportionality can't depend on whatever's on the right side. So, [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] means [itex]Q = C_1 \cdot f(b) \cdot a[/itex] (where [itex]C_1[/itex] doesn't depend on [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex]).

Similarly, [itex]Q \propto b[/itex] really means [itex]Q = C_2 \cdot f(a) \cdot b[/itex], for some (possibly different) constant [itex]C_2[/itex].

The only way this can be true simultaneously is if [itex]Q = C \cdot a \cdot b[/itex] for some constant [itex]C[/itex] -- or, more simply, if [itex]Q \propto ab[/itex].

6. Apr 17, 2014 #5
    I didn't understand what are u trying to say.

7. Apr 17, 2014 #6
    Proportional to [itex]x[/itex]
    means the same as
    Equal to [itex]x[/itex], times some constant.

Right?

8. Apr 17, 2014 #7

Mark44

Insights Author

Staff: Mentor

I didn't either, especially the parts about f(a) and f(b).
    ##Q \propto a## means Q = ka for some constant k. If you form the ratio Q/a, you get (ka)/a, or k, the constant of proportionality.

BTW, using "textspeak" such as "u" for "you" isn't allowed here.

9. Apr 17, 2014 #8
    Let me start by answering your original question in a different way.

Suppose [itex]Q[/itex] is some function of [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. I'll write it as [itex]Q(a, b)[/itex] to emphasize this.

To say [itex]Q(a, b) \propto a[/itex] means that [itex]Q(ka, b) = kQ(a, b)[/itex] for any constant [itex]k[/itex]. In words: if you scale up [itex]a[/itex], you scale up [itex]Q[/itex] by the same amount, because [itex]Q[/itex] is proportional to [itex]a[/itex].

You said that [itex]Q(a, b) = a + b[/itex] satisfies [itex]Q(a, b) \propto a[/itex]. Let's check!
    [tex]
    \begin{align}
    Q(ka, b) &= ka + b \\
    kQ(a, b) &= ka + kb \\
    &\ne Q(ka, b)
    \end{align}
    [/tex]
    Therefore, [itex]a + b[/itex] is not proportional to [itex]a[/itex].

---

Now as to my apparently-hard-to-understand notation: the [itex]f(a)[/itex] notation just means "any function of [itex]a[/itex]". Note that Mark44's constant [itex]k[/itex] could well depend on [itex]a[/itex]! For example, if [itex]Q(a, b) = \sin(a)b[/itex], then [itex]Q(a, b) \propto b[/itex] is true. I used the [itex]f(a)[/itex] notation to emphasize this.

10. Apr 17, 2014 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@22990atinesh (OP): You seem to be confused about what "directly proportional to" means
    Here is the definition:

If ##Q \propto P## then ##Q=kP## where ##k## does not depend on ##P##.

(I suspect you've got the first part but not the second part.)

Applying this definition:

(1) ##Q \propto a## means ##Q = k_1 a## where ##k_1## does not depend on ##a##
    (2) ##Q\propto b## means ##Q = k_2 b## where ##k_2## does not depend on ##b##

Now consider:

(3) ##Q \propto ab## means that ##Q= k ab## and we can see from (1) and (2) that ##k_1=k/b## does not depend on ##a## and ##k_2=k/a## does not depend on ##b## - so if (1) and (2) are both true, then (3) is also true.

(4) ##Q \propto a+b## means that ##Q=k(a + b)## and we can see from (1) and (2) that: $$k_1=\frac{k(a+b)}{a},\; k_2=\frac{k(a+b)}{b}$$... these expressions are saying that the only way (4) is true is if ##k_1## depends on ##a## and ##k_2## depends on ##b## - which contradicts the definition of "directly proportional to" used to make (1) and (2).

In other words, if (1) and (2) are both true, then (4) is false.

[Note: this is pretty much the argument first appearing in this thread in post #4 (and repeated since)]

You can try this reasoning process yourself for:

(5) ##Q\propto f(a,b)## ... where ##f## is an arbitrary function of ##a## and ##b## together...

... if (1) and (2) are both true, what form(s) can ##f## take so that (5) is also true?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  11. Apr 17, 2014 #10

Mark44

Insights Author

Staff: Mentor

Who is "you" here?
    I agree, and this is pretty much what I said in post 7.

12. Apr 17, 2014 #11

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Mark44: so noted - post #9 edited to reflect your comments :)

13. Apr 18, 2014 #12
    How did ##k_2=k/a## and ##k_1=k/b## come in point (3).
    It must be ##k_2=k*a## and ##k_1=k*b##

14. Apr 18, 2014 #13

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##Q=k_1a## and ##Q= kab## true at the same time means that ##k_1 a = kab## or ##k_1=kb## ... so well done: but the argument holds: k_1 does not depend on a - in accordance with the definition given in (1).

Can you say the same for ##Q=k(a+b)##?

15. Apr 18, 2014 #14
    Still didn't understand. I dont want a rigorous proof. I just want a simple explanation.

16. Apr 18, 2014 #15
    Well, several people have already supplied one. But let's try plugging in numbers; maybe examples will help!

You said that [itex]Q = a + b[/itex] can satisfy [itex]Q \propto a[/itex]. If that's true, then for any values of [itex]a[/itex] or [itex]b[/itex], if we scale up [itex]a[/itex], we scale up [itex]Q[/itex] by the same amount.

Let's say [itex]a = 1[/itex] and [itex]b = 2[/itex]. This means that [itex]Q = 3[/itex].

Now let's double [itex]a[/itex], and try predicting what happens to [itex]Q[/itex] in two ways.
    • Using [itex]Q \propto a[/itex], when we double [itex]a[/itex], we double [itex]Q[/itex]. Therefore, we expect [itex]Q = 6[/itex].
    • Using [itex]Q = a + b[/itex], we can just plug in the values. We actually find [itex]Q = 4[/itex].

4 is not the same as 6. Therefore, we were wrong when we said [itex]Q \propto a[/itex] is true when [itex]Q = a + b[/itex].

Proportional means multiply.

17. Apr 18, 2014 #16

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am at a loss: what education level are you at?

Do you understand that the definition of ##Q\propto P## is
    ##Q=kP## where k is a number that does not depend on P?​

I'm afraid that is as simple as it gets.

18. Apr 18, 2014 #17
    Doubt Cleared

Thanx for example Chogg. This simple example cleared my doubt.

Simon Bridge I appreciate your efforts to explain. But your explanation was a little bit theoretical. If you would have said the same thing with an example, I would have gotten it earlier. Anyway thanx for help :smile:

19. Apr 19, 2014 #18
    Very happy I could help! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted