Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why white blood cells and red blood cells are destroyed?

1. Jul 29, 2016 #1
    Why do white blood cells die and what cause them to destroy within a few (20-30) hours?
    I have an other question also that if red blood cells remain within capillaries, veins and arteries then how do they pass onto liver cells for the breakdown or they die within veins, capillaries and arteries?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

1. Are you asking about the mechanism of white cell death inmsome context? Have you looked up "apoptosis"?
    2. Red cells... and anything else thst needs to be processed out: there isva filter system.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016
  4. Jul 29, 2016 #3
    Basically I want to know what causes the death of RBC and WBC or what triggers this destruction. Is it necessary for these cells to die. Also, if RBC's and WBC's run within capillaries and arteries then why it is said that they are destroyed in liver and spleen? Does they pass into the liver cells through some opening in capillaries or they dies within these capillaries?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016
  5. Jul 29, 2016 #4

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

Red blood cells last ~100+ days in the body. Sometimes a lot longer.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_blood_cell

White blood cells are NOT one kind of cell. There are several, and depending on what they do, they last for different times.
    On average they last about one year. WB Cells that are created to fight an infection live for short periods of time; the example you gave was 20+ hours and that was probably about them.

On your next question - help us to help you: tell us where you read your information, or give us some context for your question. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  6. Jul 29, 2016 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

7. Jul 29, 2016 #6

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

A college microbiology course will help you understand this more in depth (you wouldn't have to ask these questions if you took it). Like Jim posted, your questions aren't specific enough- there are other processes that you need to understand firstly.

Until then, this video might help and addresses your questions; I find visualizing processes like this an important precursor to my own understanding:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted