Wick's rotation on a complex vector space

In summary, the Wick rotation is a formal analytic continuation of time from the real axis to the complex plane, which has nothing to do with the underlying Hilbert-space structure of QM or inner-product spaces.
Heidi
I read this in the wiki article about Wick rotation:

Note, however, that the Wick rotation cannot be viewed as a rotation on a complex vector space that is equipped with the conventional norm and metric induced by the inner product, as in this case the rotation would cancel out and have no effect.

I do not see why. could you help me to understand what would cancel.
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no clue what this should mean. Usually the Wick rotation is a formal analytic continuation of time from the real axis to the complex plane. This has nothing to do with the underlying Hilbert-space structure of QM or inner-product spaces.

There are two standard applications of the Wick rotation in the Q(F)T literature. One is for "vacuum QFT" and the evaluation of all kinds of Green's and proper vertex functions in perturbation theory ("Feynman diagrams"). Here the Wick rotation is usually done for the time-ordered vacuum Green's functions, which are in this case where you calculate vacuum expectation values, identical with the Feynman propagator and thus also closely related to the retarded propagator.

The other application is in many-body equilibrium QFT, where the canonical/grand-canonical statistical operator ##\propto \exp(-\beta \hat{H})## looks formally like a time-evolution operator ##\propto \exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t)## with ##t \rightarrow -\mathrm{i} \tau##. Here ##\tau \in (0,\beta)## and the bosonic (fermionic) fields are subject to symmetric (antisymmetric) boundary conditions, which comes from taking the trace to evaluate equilbrium expectation values, among them the Green's function. The corresponding imaginary-time (Matsubara) propagator is then the analytic continuation of the retarded propagator.

Alternatively you can do equilibrium QFT also in terms of the Schwinger-Keldysh closed-time path formalism (extended by a vertical part of the contour). For details, see

https://itp.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/off-eq-qft.pdf

and references cited therein.

Likes gentzen
Heidi said:
I read this in the wiki article about Wick rotation:

Note, however, that the Wick rotation cannot be viewed as a rotation on a complex vector space that is equipped with the conventional norm and metric induced by the inner product, as in this case the rotation would cancel out and have no effect.

I do not see why. could you help me to understand what would cancel.
thanks
Here is my guess on what on the intended meaning of this passage.

A Wick rotation on a Minkowski vector space changes the Lorentz "inner product" to a Euclidean inner product.

Now, assume that ##V## is a vector space over ##\mathbb{C}## with a conventional inner product ##\left<,\right>##, which is linear in one slot and conjugate-linear in the other slot. Let ##v'=iv## with ##v## in ##V##. Then, ##\left<v',v'\right> = (i)(-i)\left<v,v\right> = \left<v,v\right>##.

Likes morrobay
thanks
i thought that the remark contained more than that...

1. What is Wick's rotation on a complex vector space?

Wick's rotation is a mathematical transformation used in quantum field theory to simplify calculations involving complex numbers. It involves rotating the complex plane by a certain angle to map complex numbers onto real numbers, making calculations easier to perform.

2. Why is Wick's rotation important in quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, calculations often involve complex numbers, which can be difficult to work with. Wick's rotation simplifies these calculations by transforming complex numbers into real numbers, making them easier to manipulate and interpret.

3. How is Wick's rotation different from other mathematical transformations?

Unlike other mathematical transformations, Wick's rotation is specifically designed for use in quantum field theory. It is a unitary transformation, meaning it preserves the inner product of vectors, making it particularly useful in this field.

4. What are some applications of Wick's rotation?

Wick's rotation is used in a variety of applications in quantum field theory, including in perturbation theory, renormalization, and the calculation of correlation functions. It is also used in other areas of physics, such as statistical mechanics and condensed matter physics.

5. Are there any limitations to using Wick's rotation?

Wick's rotation is a powerful tool in quantum field theory, but it does have some limitations. It can only be applied to certain types of integrals, and it may not always produce accurate results. Additionally, it may not be applicable in other fields of mathematics or physics outside of quantum field theory.