Wick's Theorem Proof (Peskins and Schroder)

In summary, the individual is having difficulty understanding the induction proof given in the book, specifically the step involving the equation N(\phi_2...\phi_m)\phi_1^{+} + [\phi_1^{+},N(\phi_2...\phi_m)] = N(\phi_1^{+}\phi_2...\phi_m) + N([\phi_1^{+},\phi_2^{-}]\phi_3...\phi_m + \phi_2[\phi_1^{+},\phi_3^{-}]\phi_4...\phi_m + ...). They have successfully worked through the m=2 case and m=3 case, but are struggling to understand how the two lines above are related
jameson2
I'm having a bit of trouble working through the induction proof they give in the book.
The step I don't understand is: (page 90 in the book, halfway down)
[tex] N(\phi_2...\phi_m)\phi_1^+ + [\phi_1^+,N(\phi_2...\phi_m)] = N(\phi_1^+\phi_2...\phi_m) + N([\phi_1^+,\phi_2^-]\phi_3...\phi_m + \phi_2[\phi_1^+,\phi_3^-]\phi_4...\phi_m + ...) [/tex]

I've gone through the m=2 case in the book, and I did m=3 myself. But I just can't see how they get between the two lines above, even though I've convinced myself it should work.

If someone could explain it's be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, automatically [itex] N(\phi_2...\phi_m)\phi_1^{+}= N(\phi_1^{+}\phi_2...\phi_m)[/itex] since [itex]\phi_1^{+}[/itex] is purely made up of annihilation operators.
Second, you need to prove [itex][\phi_1^{+}, N(\phi_2...\phi_m)]=N([\phi_1^{+},(\phi_2...\phi_m)])[/itex]. To prove this you need induction again and the relation [itex][A,BC]=[A,B]C+B[A,C][/itex]. After these you just commute the [itex]\phi_1^{+}[/itex] through the string of operators [itex]\phi_2...\phi_m[/itex] then you should get it.

1. What is Wick's Theorem?

Wick's Theorem is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to simplify the calculation of expectation values of products of creation and annihilation operators.

2. Who developed Wick's Theorem?

Wick's Theorem was developed by Gian-Carlo Wick, an Italian-American theoretical physicist, in the 1950s.

3. What is the proof for Wick's Theorem as presented in Peskins and Schroder's book?

The proof presented in Peskins and Schroder's book involves using the Baker-Campbell-Hausdorff formula and the commutation relations of creation and annihilation operators to show that the expectation value of a product of operators can be written as a sum of normal-ordered operators and a series of contractions.

4. Why is Wick's Theorem useful in quantum field theory?

Wick's Theorem allows for the simplification of complicated calculations involving creation and annihilation operators, making it easier to calculate physical quantities such as scattering amplitudes and correlation functions in quantum field theory.

5. Are there any limitations to Wick's Theorem?

Wick's Theorem is limited to calculating expectation values of products of creation and annihilation operators in Gaussian states. It also does not apply to operators with time-ordering, as these involve interactions and cannot be reduced to normal-ordered form.