Wiener Filter, Correlation Matrices

In summary: Are you saying that the correlation between the two vectors is 1, regardless of the value of r_vv? If so, then that's not really a correlation matrix at all.
the_dialogue
I'm trying to understand the Wiener Filter, and I have a few questions.

1. How can there be such a thing as a correlation matrix of 1 vector. I read here:

R_yy = E[ y(k) * y^T(k) ]

where y(k) is a vector, and y_T(x) is the same vector transposed. I thought correlation represents the degree of correspondence between 2 variables, so how can we say there is a correlation between 2 equivalent vectors?

2. They present a matrix R_yy as the correlation matrix (mentioned above). Then they say vector "r_yy" is the first column of R_yy. If that is so, what are the other columns of R_yy?

3. The book first presents the Wiener filter formulation by saying that in minimizing the MSE criterion, we can find "h_w" (the wiener filter vector). They go on to another form of the Wiener filter by saying:

h_w = h_1 - inv(R_yy)*r_vv

where h_1 was defined as [1 0 0 0 ...]^T and r_vv, I suppose is the correlation (once again I don't know how one can have correlation between 2 equivalent vectors).

Thank you for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas?

the_dialogue said:
I'm trying to understand the Wiener Filter, and I have a few questions.

1. How can there be such a thing as a correlation matrix of 1 vector. I read here:

R_yy = E[ y(k) * y^T(k) ]

where y(k) is a vector, and y_T(x) is the same vector transposed. I thought correlation represents the degree of correspondence between 2 variables, so how can we say there is a correlation between 2 equivalent vectors?

ryy is the auto-correlation, witch you can think of as the correlation between the signal and shifted versions of itself. The relationship posted by you is actually ryy(0).
ryy(n)= E{y(k)*yT(k-n)}
the_dialogue said:
2. They present a matrix R_yy as the correlation matrix (mentioned above). Then they say vector "r_yy" is the first column of R_yy. If that is so, what are the other columns of R_yy?

That matrix is a symmetric toeplitz matrix. Indeed the first column is ryy, the second is [ryy(1) ryy(0) ryy(1) ryy(2) ... ryy(N-1)]T and so on the last one is ryy reversed.
the_dialogue said:
3. The book first presents the Wiener filter formulation by saying that in minimizing the MSE criterion, we can find "h_w" (the wiener filter vector). They go on to another form of the Wiener filter by saying:

h_w = h_1 - inv(R_yy)*r_vv

where h_1 was defined as [1 0 0 0 ...]^T and r_vv, I suppose is the correlation (once again I don't know how one can have correlation between 2 equivalent vectors).

I don't quite understand what you mean by your notation here.

1. What is a Wiener Filter?

A Wiener filter is a mathematical tool used in signal processing to enhance noisy signals. It is a linear filter that minimizes the mean square error between the desired output and the actual output of a system.

2. How does a Wiener Filter work?

A Wiener filter works by using a correlation matrix between the input signal and the desired output signal to estimate the optimal filter coefficients. These coefficients are then used to filter the input signal and produce the desired output signal with reduced noise.

3. What are correlation matrices used for?

Correlation matrices are used to measure the relationship between two or more variables. In the context of a Wiener filter, correlation matrices are used to determine the optimal filter coefficients by calculating the correlation between the input signal and the desired output signal.

4. Can a Wiener filter be used for any type of signal?

Yes, a Wiener filter can be used for any type of signal as long as the correlation between the input signal and the desired output signal can be calculated. It is commonly used in image and audio processing, but can also be applied to other types of signals such as financial data or natural language processing.

5. What are the limitations of a Wiener filter?

Some limitations of a Wiener filter include the assumption of a linear system and the requirement for a known desired output signal. It also does not work well for signals with non-stationary noise or signals with a low signal-to-noise ratio. Additionally, the filter performance is highly dependent on the accuracy of the correlation matrix.