Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wiki lists logic as a branch of philosophy

1. Jun 12, 2010 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2010 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I too think it is perfectly fine, in general, for questions in formal logic to belong in Philosophy.

However, recalling the evolution of the forums, while there was once a time when the Philosophy forum belonged under the main forums, with Logic listed as a topic of discussion under it, that has now changed. With the successive retirements of all the Philosophy Mentors, and a rapidly diminishing signal-to-noise in the Philo forum, it was decided to move Philosophy to the Lounge. Logic is now considered a pertinent topic of discussion under the Set Theory sub-forum.

We do now, however, have a Philosophy Mentor in MiH, but I think it was decided to leave things the way they were, at least for the time being.

My own opinion is that Logic (or any other topic that might belong in more than one forum) ought to be discussed in the forum where it is likely to be better Mentored. Whether that is in Math or in Philosophy should depend on the preferences and availability of the Mentors involved.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  4. Jun 12, 2010 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There are guidelines for starting a thread in Philosophy. If it doesn't meet the guidelines, it can't go there.

Philosophy posting guidelines.

If you are referring to this post, you can see why it does not belong in Philosophy.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2754513&postcount=1

5. Jun 12, 2010 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't. But in any case, does this mean that all questions in formal logic are not meant for the Philosophy forum? Could you clarify whether they instead universally belong in some other forum or will that determination have to be made on a case-by-case basis?

I thought this thread belonged in Set Theory for logistical reasons, not for reasons of non-compliance, and I would have recommended moving rather than locking. But I think you are saying that is not the case.

6. Jun 12, 2010 #5

Evo

I agree it doesn't fit for both reasons. :smile:

If they want to start a philosophical discussion, then they have to set it up as a philosophical discussion. We've had to move too many threads lately, so we have started deleting threads and advising the member to repost in the appropriate forum, along with an official warning. I decided not to issue a warning or delete and just ask the member to repost.

If they wish to repost as a philosophical discussion, they can repost according to the guidelines.

7. Jun 13, 2010 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I took a course in logic in college, it was indeed offered by the philosophy department. I thought the main point of the philosophy forum guidelines was to nudge posters there into being more logical in their arguments, and if someone wanted to post a discussion of logic, or use formal logic in an argument, that wouldn't be against any of those philosophy forum rules. Indeed, it would require use of all of them.

Shutting out actual discussions that encourage use of logic or from students seeking to understand the logic for a philosophy course would seem to completely go against the point of trying to clean out all the riff raff from that forum that does not meet any logical guidelines (statements of assumptions and premises is a construct of logic).

8. Jun 13, 2010 #7

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

At the same time, the "Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics" forum includes "Relations of sets, logical operations, analysis, interpretation of data"

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  9. Jun 14, 2010 #8
    Regarding topic “Mind” that was moved from the Biology Forum to the Philosophy Forum at Moonbear's request. I would like to have someone else review it other than the person who moved it there. And perhaps another party can too. Is that ok?

Also I did end on this note:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=408478

Thank you in advance for your help. Reporting an incident like this is new to me so I thought I would place it here. I hope that is alright.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. Jun 14, 2010 #9
    I was in a rush last night. The link I gave didn't work. Here is
    Chapter 12: HABITS OF MIND
    VALUES AND ATTITUDES
    COMPUTATION AND ESTIMATION
    MANIPULATION AND OBSERVATION
    COMMUNICATION SKILLS
    CRITICAL-RESPONSE SKILLS
    http://www.project2061.org/publications/sfaa/online/chap12.htm

Also, I did post from the topic “Mind”:
    1. The Johns Hopkins University - The Zanvyl Krieger
    Mind/Brain Institute - Systems, Cognitive, and
    Computational Neuroscience

Systems, Cognitive, and Computational Neuroscience. Here is a snippet from it though I would encourage reading the entire page and exploring the website.

http://krieger.jhu.edu/mbi/research/

I should mention that I am not a big fan of wikipedia. Philosophers aren't scientists.

11. Jun 14, 2010 #10

Evo

It could fit in either, depending on whether the Op wanted an answer from a medical standpoint, or a philosophical one. The OP seems to be asking from a philosophical standpoint. I moved it last night due to the OP's statement.

12. Jun 15, 2010 #11
    Hi Evo. I appreciate your feedback. I reviewed the dialogue inclusive of the date/time that took place from the link I earlier provided regarding the topic “Mind” that was originally in the forum Biology then moved by you to the Philosophy Forum. I'd like to address several issues that I am concerned about. The OP began with this remark post #1.

My first two postings on the "Mind" topic were presented while that topic appeared in the forum Biology. My first post, which followed behind Moonbear's remark, contained the following comment to the OP addressing his original quote as noted above. This is what I wrote to the OP, "Scientifically speaking, the mind can't exist without a brain so it isn't a philosophical issue as far as I am concerned."

This is what I thought to myself prior to my comment to the OP. I was surprised a CFD Engineer would even ask those questions and present them to the public, considering he would hopefully be scientifically educated, knowing full well that placing it in a *science* forum begs for immediate attention. The questions the OP asked are of value since it allowed me the opportunity to bring forth insightful scientific information. Also, the questions asked are often asked by attendees in science seminars, lectures, and classrooms. Best to make a simple statement as I said above to the OP then move forward with science related research. My only wish was to continue the dialogue in a healthy robust manner in the Biology or Medical Forum. It appears now that won't be happening with the OP's topic without editing or deleting posts. Is it possible for a person to start a "Mind/Brain" topic in the Medical Forum?

Thanks. Have a great day.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook