Will Cycloalkanes Always Show One Peak in Hydrogen-1 NMR?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nmr
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Saracen Rue
Messages
150
Reaction score
10
Will members of the cycloalkane homologous series only ever show one peak in Hydrogen - 1 NMR spectroscopy due to the symmetry in the molecules?
 
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can be wrong, but I believe it depends on how precise your measurements are. Boat and chair have different symmetries, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more than one peak even for cyclohexane.
 
Borek said:
I can be wrong, but I believe it depends on how precise your measurements are. Boat and chair have different symmetries, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more than one peak even for cyclohexane.
This will also be a question of temperature, whether the interconversion of the conformers is faster or slower than the NMR timescale.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borek
I found some relevant spectra:
http://www.chem.uky.edu/courses/che450g/handouts/cp2tis5.html
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borek