Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will Everyone Work In Their Country Of Birth Oneday?

1. Yes - oneday a more equal world will allow this

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  2. No - there will always be movement of people

35 vote(s)
    94.6%
  1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    This must be a prerequisite for world peace, surely, which everyone wants. A time when nobody would want to work in a different country because they have such a fulfilling life in their home area. Is this kind of world equality something to aspire to?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2

turbo

Gold Member

People will always move for one reason or another. Perhaps you are a physicist and you want to work on projects at the LHC... you move. You might want to do research work in LQG, and there is no adequate program in schools near you... you move. People do not always move away from negative circumstances. Often they move to better-position themselves for their careers or studies, and they sacrifice some things to do that, including proximity to family and friends. Life is full of trade-offs and we will never see a world in which these trades-offs can be expressed as a simple dichotomy.

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    My wife is from Taiwan and I am from the US. I take it there will be no peace as long as we are married. I had my suspicions.

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I grew up about 15 miles from where I live now, and my wife grew up on a farm about a mile from here, so rest easy, jimmy. We're balancing you and your wife out.

6. Mar 25, 2009 #5
    I guess I have to go an a tangential view on this.

I think in the future if there is to be any kind of peace or organization, we will have to abandon the notion of nationalism (yeah, I know an ism).

The idea of a different country/s will have to go.

More on the lines of ' where is the best place for me to work', or 'where can I contribute the most', rather than should I work in this country or that country.

I know this is radical, but in the future I really can not see it any other way. As our technology advances I think it will become even more critical.

Your home is this planet, not country, as with everyone else, whether admitted or not.

By the way, I am not religious, not a philosopher and not an old hippie (not that there would be anything wrong with that).

Good question Mammo, it actually got some neurons firing and blew away some dust.

7. Mar 25, 2009 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For some reason, I like the idea of being in the area you are from later in life.

I can see myself living and working in France, but I always see myself coming home. No place like home.

If I had kids in France, then surely I would stay there.

8. Mar 25, 2009 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I didn't vote because the question doesn't apply to me. I have no option. I'll probably be in the same town for the rest of my life, let alone changing provinces or countries. (Mind you, I spent 13 years fighting to get to this town.)

9. Mar 25, 2009 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I think the underlying proposition is incorrect.

I like to travel to different parts of the country in which I live, which is not the country of my birth.

I've also had the privilege and joy of visiting and working in many different countries, and I look forward to visiting and working in many more.

And what does staying in one's country for an entire life have to do with (ensuring) world peace?!

10. Mar 25, 2009 #9

Danger

Gold Member

I suspect that this might reference the fear-based backlash against immigrant workers in the more developed countries.

11. Mar 25, 2009 #10

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Living and working conditions cannot ever be exactly equal in all parts of the world, so there will always be a movement of people from one region or occupation to another.

- Warren

12. Mar 25, 2009 #11

wolram

Gold Member

My family has not spread more than 100 miles since 1751, but i have often worked abroad, some places i liked very much, but i was all ways glad to get home.

13. Mar 25, 2009 #12

Danger

Gold Member

Not surprising. Sheep aren't noted for their wanderlust.

14. Mar 25, 2009 #13

wolram

Gold Member

True, but they hardly ever present a Danger to society, a major mercy.

15. Mar 25, 2009 #14

Pythagorean

Gold Member

better question: will anyone here ever actually work?

16. Mar 25, 2009 #15

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Another problem with the question is that it uses "country" as the smallest "unit". I grew up in a village in the north of Sweden, for me it was a much bigger change to move from that village to a big (well, 600 000 people) city in Sweden than it was to later move from that city to London.

17. Mar 25, 2009 #16
    By here if you are referring to PF, I will aim to disappoint you.

18. Mar 25, 2009 #17

Astronuc

Hmm - my grandfather and his family moved 17200 km (10686 mi) from his birthplace in 1910. My father and I moved about 14,480 kilometers (9000 miles) from where we were born to where he now lives, and I live about 2380 km (1480 miles) from there.

I don't know where I'll end up. My choices are NZ, PK, BG or AF, or maybe MN.

19. Mar 25, 2009 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't even know what those initials stand for except NZ.

20. Mar 25, 2009 #19

Astronuc

Actually, they all have in common certain geological features.

21. Mar 25, 2009 #20

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, are they American states? I can see MN as Montana and maybe being similar to NZ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook