1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will i Get accepted to a Graduate school?

Tags:
  1. May 17, 2014 #1
    Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the website or a blog for that matter. I'm currently going to a division 3 school for my bachelor's in physics and mathematics but it has taken me a lot longer to finish my degree. Consequentially, I've done poorly in some classes because of a medical condition i have. I do have research experience under my belt plus one publication in astronomy. My GPA is low, a little low for me to say feeling a little embarrassed about it, but i hope to bring it up within the next two years i have left. So my question is, does the length of time and low GPA of getting your bachelors degree in physics hinder your ability to get a masters or a phd in physics at all? I've heard other graduates say it's the GRE scores, Grades, Research experience, and extracurricular activities, that qualify to get into graduate schools. I know it's about where you apply to, but i'm not going to apply to a top ten university to receive my phd. Last question, for the masters and phd people out there what made you want to get one? What made you have the drive to get your master's or Phd?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

If your GPA is lower than 3.0, then most grad schools won't even look at the rest of your application. So make sure this is not the case.

4. May 17, 2014 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Extracurricular activities don't matter much if at all for grad school. It's not like undergraduate admissions. What counts are grades, GRE scores, research experience, and letters of recommendation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook