Will non-relevant research/publication hurt me? Is it beneficial at all?

• Thread starter nnguyen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the speaker should mention their published senior thesis in electrical engineering in their statement of purpose for graduate school in operations research/industrial engineering. They are concerned about its relevance and how to tie it into their research interests. Other participants suggest that it will likely be beneficial to mention the publication and to ask their advisor for advice on incorporating it into their statement. They also discuss the possibility of doing summer research in math and applying to physics grad school, and the speaker shares their experience of completing a double major in electrical engineering and math in a shorter amount of time. The conversation ends with the speaker mentioning that they have talked to their advisor and have managed to tie their research experience to their interests in their statement. They also mention
nnguyen
I am currently majoring in electrical engineering and mathematics. I am applying to graduate school for Operations Research/Industrial Engineering.

I did my senior thesis in electrical engineering (on circuits) and recently found out that it got accepted to a 2nd-tier journal.

Should I mention this in my statement of purpose? My advisor suggested that I do so as it shows that I am capable of doing research. However, as it is not relevant to the field where I am applying to, I am not sure if it would be beneficial at all. If I do mention the paper, I am not sure how I can tie it in with my research interests. Is it possible that it will hurt my application?

Physics news on Phys.org
nnguyen said:
I am currently majoring in electrical engineering and mathematics. I am applying to graduate school for Operations Research/Industrial Engineering.

I did my senior thesis in electrical engineering (on circuits) and recently found out that it got accepted to a 2nd-tier journal.

Should I mention this in my statement of purpose? My advisor suggested that I do so as it shows that I am capable of doing research. However, as it is not relevant to the field where I am applying to, I am not sure if it would be beneficial at all. If I do mention the paper, I am not sure how I can tie it in with my research interests. Is it possible that it will hurt my application?

It shouldn't hurt your application, and would likely help. Your advisor's advice (hmmm, is that why they call them advisors?) seems sound to me.

It shows that you are capable of performing research and writing a paper that passed peer review and was accepted for publication. That is, in a nutshell, precisely what graduate school is about. It is certainly worth mentioning, regardless of immediate relevance to your field. Many competing applicants will not have any published papers (unless it's MIT or similar).

I'd say it's 100% worth it. I mentioned a physical chemistry publication almost ad naseum on my theoretical physics postgraduate applications, and it seems to have done the trick. The publication was even mentioned on a scholarship nomination letter from one of the universities.

nnguyen said:
Should I mention this in my statement of purpose? My advisor suggested that I do so as it shows that I am capable of doing research. However, as it is not relevant to the field where I am applying to, I am not sure if it would be beneficial at all.

I think it will be. There are some basic skills in doing research that are the same across different fields.

If I do mention the paper, I am not sure how I can tie it in with my research interests. Is it possible that it will hurt my application?

Ask your adviser. If you can't think of anything else, just mention that you've done research in an unrelated field and you liked it.

This is off-topic but did you actually double major in EE and math. I wanted to do this but my uni didn't let me. :'(

Thanks everyone for your input! I will definitely speak to my advisor on how to incorporate the paper into my SOP and make it align with my current research interests.

Also, yes, I am majoring in EE and Math. I had the Calculus sequence, Diff. Eq., Lin. Alg. and most of the Gen. Ed. requirements (Physics I&II, etc.) completed through AP tests and summer courses so I was a bit ahead. I finished my EE degree at the end of my junior year and now only have math courses left to take. My university had no qualms about my concurrent majors as there were a few people who had the same combination before me.

So, from what I have read in this topic, can I say that if I do summer research about math -I am not talking about its possibility- and apply to physics grad school, it wouldn't hurt my application anyway, except when the research is not successful? I am thinking of summer research, and found out my math side is stronger than physics for now, as I haven't really gotten into too much physics, so I was thinking of applying to math programs.

nnguyen said:
Thanks everyone for your input! I will definitely speak to my advisor on how to incorporate the paper into my SOP and make it align with my current research interests.

Also, yes, I am majoring in EE and Math. I had the Calculus sequence, Diff. Eq., Lin. Alg. and most of the Gen. Ed. requirements (Physics I&II, etc.) completed through AP tests and summer courses so I was a bit ahead. I finished my EE degree at the end of my junior year and now only have math courses left to take. My university had no qualms about my concurrent majors as there were a few people who had the same combination before me.

How exactly did you finish and EE degree so fast? Where you taking 7 classes ? What about liberal art classes ? What you did is amazing !

oyolasigmaz said:
So, from what I have read in this topic, can I say that if I do summer research about math -I am not talking about its possibility- and apply to physics grad school, it wouldn't hurt my application anyway, except when the research is not successful? I am thinking of summer research, and found out my math side is stronger than physics for now, as I haven't really gotten into too much physics, so I was thinking of applying to math programs.

I recently talked with my advisor and he helped me straighten out my SOP. I managed to tie some of my research experience to my research interests. I think any research opportunity is a plus regardless of whether you got something published or not. I also talked about an REU that I participated in which only resulted in a poster presentation at a small regional conference. I don't think the research was "successful" but it was still a great experience overall and something worth mentioning. I am pretty sure you can somehow tie in your math research with physics. If not, you can always talk about how it helped you developed mathematically. As everyone suggested, definitely seek help from a mentor or advisor. Helped me out a lot.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
How exactly did you finish and EE degree so fast? Where you taking 7 classes ? What about liberal art classes ? What you did is amazing !

7 classes would be insane! The max I've done was 6 classes (digital circuits, solid state devices, analog integrated circuits, intro. to proofs and 2 Gen. Ed.) which was a horrible experience (got my first two B's that semester). I started research in my sophomore year which was approved for credit which helped cut back on the number of major elective classes I needed to take.

7 classes would be insane! The max I've done was 6 classes (digital circuits, solid state devices, analog integrated circuits, intro. to proofs and 2 Gen. Ed.) which was a horrible experience (got my first two B's that semester). I started research in my sophomore year which was approved for credit which helped cut back on the number of major elective classes I needed to take.
Even that is crazy. Right now I have 6 class ( signals, microprocessors (assembly), electronics 2, probablity and stochastic process, real analysis and eletromagnetism) and I am barely sleeping. The lab for assembly is a killer.

If I want to have a minor in math , note MINOR, I have to keep taking 6 all the way to 4th year plus summer school to take my librals.

I did research too over the summer but it didn't count for anything. :'(
What math classes did you take ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Even that is crazy. Right now I have 6 class ( signals, microprocessors (assembly), electronics 2, probablity and stochastic process, real analysis and eletromagnetism) and I am barely sleeping. The lab for assembly is a killer.

If I want to have a minor in math , note MINOR, I have to keep taking 6 all the way to 4th year plus summer school to take my librals.

I did research too over the summer but it didn't count for anything. :'(
What math classes did you take ?

For upper division, I've taken ODE, Scientific Computing, Real Analysis I, Probability Theory, Applied Stats., Lin. Alg. and Advanced Lin. Alg. so far. This upcoming semester, my final one, I will take Real Analysis II, Stochastic Processes and a grad course in Combinatorial Optimization.

How many math courses is required your math minor? I find math courses less time consuming than EE courses as the amount of work is cut back severely. If you can, I would check to see if you can test out of some of the gen. ed. requirements through CLEP tests if you are at a US institution. I was lucky enough to get everything out of the way through AP and only had to take two upper division gen. ed. courses.

nnguyen said:
For upper division, I've taken ODE, Scientific Computing, Real Analysis I, Probability Theory, Applied Stats., Lin. Alg. and Advanced Lin. Alg. so far. This upcoming semester, my final one, I will take Real Analysis II, Stochastic Processes and a grad course in Combinatorial Optimization.

How many math courses is required your math minor? I find math courses less time consuming than EE courses as the amount of work is cut back severely. If you can, I would check to see if you can test out of some of the gen. ed. requirements through CLEP tests if you are at a US institution. I was lucky enough to get everything out of the way through AP and only had to take two upper division gen. ed. courses.

I have to take 2 more math courses. I have already taken analysis, I am taking abstract algebra next semester. I have already taken complex analysis, the usual calculus sequence for EE's and linear algebra. Basically, analysis was/is my only pure math course. Complex analysid was watered down for the biology students in the class; it was like calculus 2 all over, just with z's and laurent series and cauchy integral formula.

Unfortunatly, I am in Canada and my uni is strict with the gen ed classes.

I would like to taken general topology at some point. Btw heads up stochastic process can be difficult; but I guess you would know since you already took probability.

Probability and stochastic processes is one of the more challenging math courses for me.

Are you planing on taken an algebra or number theory class ?

1. Will conducting non-relevant research hurt my reputation as a scientist?

It is unlikely that conducting non-relevant research will significantly harm your reputation as a scientist. However, it is important to consider the potential impact on your overall productivity and the resources required to conduct the research.

2. Will publishing non-relevant research negatively affect my career prospects?

Publishing non-relevant research may not directly impact your career prospects, but it could potentially reflect poorly on your ability to prioritize and focus on important research topics. It is important to carefully consider the potential impact before submitting a non-relevant publication.

3. Can non-relevant research be beneficial in any way?

While non-relevant research may not directly contribute to your field or advance scientific knowledge, it can still have some benefits. It may provide valuable insights or serve as a starting point for future studies. Additionally, it can help broaden your research interests and skills.

4. Will non-relevant research hurt my chances of obtaining funding?

Non-relevant research may not necessarily harm your chances of obtaining funding, but it could make it more difficult to secure resources for future projects. Funding agencies typically prioritize research that is relevant and has the potential to make a significant impact.

5. Should I avoid pursuing non-relevant research altogether?

It is not necessary to completely avoid non-relevant research, but it is important to carefully consider the potential implications and prioritize relevant research topics. Maintaining a balance between relevant and non-relevant research can help you maintain productivity and contribute to your field in a meaningful way.