Will our sun become black hole if it were moving fast enough?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a sun becoming a black hole due to its increase in mass while moving at high speeds. However, this is not a feasible scenario due to the principle of relativity and the fact that mass is not the primary source of gravity in general relativity. The concept of "relativistic mass" is also considered useless.
aaryan0077
Okay, I know that sun won't become BH (Black Hole) , and I know about Chandrasekhar limit and Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkoff limit, etc.
But my question is different.
We know,
M = m × √(1-v^2/c^2 ) . where m is rest mass. ( Don't know much latex, sorry :frown: )
So now we do know the rest mass of sun, so if it were moving fast its mass should increase, in accordance to equation so, at some velocity (definitely less than c, as at that velocity mass will be ∞) its mass will be that much as is required for black hole formation. Also the physical laws that are required for BH formation such as exclusion principle and chemical interaction etc. should hold good in that reference system too.
(As says the Principle of relativity)
Does at that point will our sun become BH.
And if it does; than for whom, for someone in reference system K' or for someone observing it from system K.
Please don't say, that sun can't (or won't) be moving at that speed, or ask me how will I get it to that speed
I am not taking about "how and when"
I am talking about "what if" case?

Physics news on Phys.org
See e.g. http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/BlackHoles/black_fast.html for a partial answer. You may also want to do a search in this forum, because this question has been asked many times before.

By the way, most of us aren't big fans of the concept "relativistic mass", which we consider a useless concept. So when we say mass, we mean rest mass. There are lots of threads about that too.

Please note that "relativity" means just that. It does not make sense to talk about the sun, or any other body, moving "fast" without saying what frame of reference it is moving relative to. And whether it became a black hole or not must then be "as seen from that frame of reference". Theoretically there exist some frame of reference with respect to which the sun is moving at, say, 99.9999% the speed of light. If the sun were a "black hole" as seen from that frame of reference, since the Earth is moving with the sun, no change would be observed from the earth.

Also, mass is not the source of gravity in GR. The http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-energy_tensor" [Broken] is. It includes energy (masss) as one component, but the other components such as momentum ensure that a fast moving object has the same event horizon as a slow moving object of the same rest mass.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Will our sun become a black hole if it were moving fast enough?

No, our sun will not become a black hole regardless of its speed. A star can only become a black hole if it has a large enough mass and collapses under its own gravity. The sun's mass is not enough for this to occur.

2. How fast would the sun need to be moving to become a black hole?

To become a black hole, the sun would need to be moving at nearly the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is the escape velocity required for an object to overcome its own gravitational pull.

3. Can the sun's speed change over time?

Yes, the sun's speed can change over time due to various factors such as the gravitational pull of other objects and the rotation of the Milky Way galaxy. However, it is not possible for the sun to reach the speed necessary for it to become a black hole.

4. What would happen if the sun did become a black hole?

If the sun were to become a black hole, it would have a strong gravitational pull that could potentially affect the orbits of planets in our solar system. However, this scenario is highly unlikely and would not occur in the near future.

5. Can stars other than the sun become black holes?

Yes, stars with a much larger mass than the sun can become black holes when they reach the end of their life cycle and collapse under their own gravity. These are known as stellar black holes and can have masses up to 100 times that of the sun.