1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Will someone check my application of kepler's laws?

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1
    1. The period of the Earth's orbit is approximately 365.25 days. Use this fact and Kepler's Third Law to find the length of the major (not semi-major) axis of the Earth's orbit. You will need the mass of the sun, M = 1.99x10^30 kg, and the gravitational constant, G = 6.67x10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

2. It's possible to place a satellite into orbit about the Earth so that it remains fixed above a given location on the equator. Compute the altitude that is needed for such a satellite. The Earth's mass is 5.98x10^24 kg; its radius is 6.37x10^6 m.

Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to get the equations from microsoft equation editor into the question, so you'll have to open the attachment (you may have to save it, I apologize). I've got full solutions worked out, so all I need is for someone to double check me.
    Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

• math.doc
      File size:
      35.5 KB
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

First one you have the wrong answer. You forgot to convert days to seconds. Also your maths in the various stages is a little off. I'll let you see if you can spot what it is.

Second one is slightly off as well. I think thats just arithmetic.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?