Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cold Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 174K views
My wife has a Legacy AWD with studded snow tires and I am very glad of it. I hope the pokey plow-truck driver manages to make another pass by 3pm or so. I just took Duke out for a walk and there is already another 5" of snow on the roads since his first pass. At the rate this stuff is piling up we'll have a few more inches by commute-time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We have only traces of snow left, above 0 deg C day and night for over a week here - and similar forecast.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
I was supposed to be up in Seattle today but wasn't about to drive through a snow storm last night.

That was a tough call. It was a very important meeting and the roads may or may not have been okay, but it looks like I made the right call. It was snowing here by 2 PM. Later, it was 31 degrees F and raining.

This morning it was 48F and raining. I think you can get up to Seattle today.
 
It took me 1 hour 47 minutes to drive 11 miles on the freeways of Cleveland, OH yesterday - due to snow whiteouts and accumulation. After the meeting, I headed south east 30 miles and the sun was bright, sky was clear, and the road was dry. Ironically, I heard discussion on the various radio stations that schools were open in Cleveland and closed in the sunny areas.
 
Just back in for a re-hydration break after cleaning off vehicles. Now to dig out the door of my detached garage so I can get my snow-blower out... I hate snow.
 
Another re-hydration break. Driveway is 1/2 cleared. Swirling winds with occasional strong gusts make snow-blowing "interesting" - painfully so.
 
turbo-1 said:
Just back in for a re-hydration break after cleaning off vehicles. Now to dig out the door of my detached garage so I can get my snow-blower out... I hate snow.
Digging out the snow blower is just wrong.
 
turbo-1 said:
Just back in for a re-hydration break after cleaning off vehicles. Now to dig out the door of my detached garage so I can get my snow-blower out... I hate snow.

Snow-blower? Fire up that tractor turbo!
 
WhoWee said:
Snow-blower? Fire up that tractor turbo!
The problem with that is the steel cutter on the bucket is pretty rough my my driveway, and after you have made snow-piles at the limit of the loader arms, there's no place left to put more snow. I use it to cut back snow banks so we have visibility in late winter, though. It's a LOT easier than cutting back the banks with a shovel. As you can see, winters can bring some logistics problems here. We don't get extended thaws like some parts of the country.

marchhouse.jpg
 
turbo-1 said:
The problem with that is the steel cutter on the bucket is pretty rough my my driveway, and after you have made snow-piles at the limit of the loader arms, there's no place left to put more snow. I use it to cut back snow banks so we have visibility in late winter, though. It's a LOT easier than cutting back the banks with a shovel. As you can see, winters can bring some logistics problems here. We don't get extended thaws like some parts of the country.

marchhouse.jpg

Fair enough. I have an idea for using the tractor next summer - dig up the drive and put in a floor heat system:


http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+wash&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
 
It snowed here last night. That means there is now snow from 4 separate storms on the ground at the same time. I can't remember if I have seen that here before. It's not a lot of snow, its just that the temperatures have stayed below freezing for almost 2 months now.
 
No snow here, we are still well above freezing, not typical for January. They say heatwave will end tomorrow.
 
WhoWee said:
Snow-blower? Fire up that tractor turbo!
Well, you got your wish. We got around 7" of snow yesterday that turned to rain, and then freezing rain. My snow-blower could never have handled an inch of pure slush on the bottom, the wet snow over that, and the crusty ice on the top without plugging. I used the tractor. It took longer than removing a normal storm here, but this stuff was so nasty and heavy that removing it by hand and/or with a snow-blower would have been frustrating in the extreme.

We don't get long thaws here, so leaving all that crap on the ground was not an option. It had to be removed. My asphalt drive certainly suffered, though I worked hard to minimize the damage. At least I was able to move much of the slush, snow, and ice without having to horse around a heavy snow-blower. I might consider buying a 3-point-hitch snow-blower for that tractor someday, though my little detached garage does not have room enough to accommodate that unless it was detached from the tractor and stored separately. I could fit it in the garage if I took the loader off, but the loader is pretty darned handy if I have to cut back snow-banks so we have improved visibility when trying to leave our driveway in winter.
 
Got another 8" today, and the night-time temperature are expected to plunge to -10 to -20 starting tomorrow night. The wood stove is going to get a workout. I just hope the temps stay below freezing tomorrow during the day so the snow stays light enough to be movable with the snow-blower.

I'm sick of winter, with over 2 more months of official winter to go, and the treacherous month of April following.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
Wind chill expected to hit -30F tonight near me.
If we have wind with -20F, the chill will be off the charts. I grew up with that as a ski-patrolman during HS, but it's getting pretty old now that I have arthritis in major joints.
 
collinsmark said:
It's 74o F (23o C) and sunny here at the moment.

turbo-1 said:
I hate you!

ditto
 
It's about 17F here and the wind is kicking up. By Sun-Tues we will be lucky to creep up into the single digits for daily highs. There is an arctic blast coming.
 
We're down into single digits now. It might get up into the teens tomorrow as I try to get this latest dump of snow cleaned up, but that's the warmest it might be for the next several days, so I'll have to take advantage of it. After tomorrow, single-digit highs will be the best we can get.
 
It's 14°F and falling like a rock. But compared to what turbo is going to be getting tonight, it would be like a heat wave.
 
It was about 4 F (-15 C) this morning around sunrise.

The low in the morning is supposed to be -10 F (-23 C).
 
We are currently at -5 deg F and plunging. I thought the -20 forecast for tonight was a bit gloomy, but it seems to be coming true.