Will the Arctic Cold Front Cause Severe Weather and Damage to Crops?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cold Outside
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1,301 replies · 174K views
We already had over a feet of snow some time ago, not to mention around -16 deg C (that's about zero F) in the night. As usual, TV was full of people whining about clogged streets and paralyzed traffic. In Poland it is never fault of heavy snow, but always fault of those responsible for dealing with the situation. Not that they are always OK, but people expect miracles.

Today it is a little bit over freezing (so everything melts), but we expect another temperature drop starting tonight. Not that low this time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We have been overcast since last weekend, and starting Sunday into Monday, we got 3+ inches of rain. The ski resorts in the Western mountains had gotten an early start to the season, but all that snow is headed our way as run-off. This is a shot of the north channel dam in Skowhegan. The impoundment is not very large, so all the floodgates on this dam have to be opened to prevent over-topping of the hydro station on the other side of the island.

damforODS.jpg
 
Outrageous cold and snow, temps at 7 degrees for my morning drive. The roads are pure sheets of ice.
 
Right now we are at -15 here in Upper Michigan.
Time to through a glass of boiling into the air "Cool" literally
 
hypatia said:
Outrageous cold and snow, temps at 7 degrees for my morning drive. The roads are pure sheets of ice.
We're supposed to get ice tonight.
 
I spent most of the day clearing snow off my drive, patio, and back deck today. Could get another big one swinging in off the ocean by Sunday into Monday. I'd rather have the torrential rains. At least I don't have to shovel it.
 
turbo-1 said:
I spent most of the day clearing snow off my drive, patio, and back deck today. Could get another big one swinging in off the ocean by Sunday into Monday. I'd rather have the torrential rains. At least I don't have to shovel it.
Today is not the first time this season that it has snowed here, but I was taking a nap then. So today is the first for me. So far it's just a light dusting, turning the street from black to grey. I don't expect much more so when turbo's done plowing out his living room, he can bring his leaf blower here and clear my driveway.
 
Where not due for snow for the rest of the year. :(
 
Evo said:
Where not due for snow for the rest of the year. :(

My heart pumps purple piss for you. Please feel free to come up here and take the 20 tonnes or so of it that are currently occupying my yard. :rolleyes:
 
Danger said:
My heart pumps purple piss for you. Please feel free to come up here and take the 20 tonnes or so of it that are currently occupying my yard. :rolleyes:
Not fair, everyone is getting snow, except me. I'm just getting bitter cold.
 
Evo said:
Not fair, everyone is getting snow, except me. I'm just getting bitter cold.

Have some of the snow that we had today. It's sticky around the freezing temp.

lxgl1.jpg


qr0lld.jpg


erebo2.jpg
 
Danger said:
My heart pumps purple piss for you. Please feel free to come up here and take the 20 tonnes or so of it that are currently occupying my yard. :rolleyes:

You mean you have room for snow in your back yard?
 
wolram said:
You mean you have room for snow in your back yard?
I have about 10 acres. Plenty of room to store snow. Anybody that is feeling left out is welcome to come get all the snow they want.
 
wolram said:
You mean you have room for snow in your back yard?

Well, that's the thing about snow. There is as much lying on top of my cars and C-can and roof as there would be on the ground if those things weren't there. Maybe more, since it can't soak into them.
 
It's 66F outside right now, and supposed to be 15F tomorrow night.
 
Tonight we'll get about 5 inches of snow. We already have snow on snow, something rare in South Jersey. I think this may be the first time I've seen snow from 3 separate storms on the ground at one time in this area. I'm curious about what's going on in Maine. Where's our Maine correspondent?
 
Sunny, clear and about 30 deg here. Looking at ~10" of snow tomorrow though. Ack! Snowmobilers will love it. I won't.
 
You can thank us Kansans for the snow turbo. I got 10" of the puffy stuff before sending up to you. But now the wind is drifting it and blocking my drive. Tonight I looking at -5°F.
 
dlgoff said:
You can thank us Kansans for the snow turbo. I got 10" of the puffy stuff before sending up to you. But now the wind is drifting it and blocking my drive. Tonight I looking at -5°F.
Every time I open the door, I get hit in the face with a gust of snow (from the wind blowing it). Damn, I should bring the squirrels inside tonight.
 
Evo said:
Every time I open the door, I get hit in the face with a gust of snow (from the wind blowing it). Damn, I should bring the squirrels inside tonight.
I have a old outdoor cat that I let in for a time this afternoon. I didn't let here stay in too long. She is so use to the outdoor temps that it didn't take long before she was too hot. So I let her out and she didn't mind at all. At night she has her place in the chicken house.
 
Catch the cold. I'm wondering if it'll drop below 30 minus this year.
 
The UK seems to be living up to an old weather proverb: if the ice is thick enough for a duck to walk on before Christmas, it won't be thick enough for a goose to walk on all year.

After a record cold December (lowest average temp in the 100 years of data available) we are now at a rather unseasonal +10C. It that lasts for a couple of weeks, the lawn will need mowing!
 
Snowing heavily now. We're getting at least an inch an hour currently, and the snow isn't expected to end until around midnight.
 
Evo said:
Every time I open the door, I get hit in the face with a gust of snow (from the wind blowing it). Damn, I should bring the squirrels inside tonight.

Maybe get a rabies vaccination first...?
 
The snow is too deep and soft for them to run across, a few brave souls have tried to hop around, but each time they land, they fall through the snow and are buried, then they have to jump out of the hole. In other words, they're mainly sticking to the trees.

turbo, I saw that you're getting socked with snow, good luck.
 
Well, at least our towns have snow-removal equipment. One of the two newer/larger trucks was laid up a while back. I hope it's back in service now.
 
turbo-1 said:
Well, at least our towns have snow-removal equipment. One of the two newer/larger trucks was laid up a while back. I hope it's back in service now.
Did you get the problem with the trail guy fixed?
 
Evo said:
Did you get the problem with the trail guy fixed?
The trailmaster managed to remove the obstruction well enough to be able to groom the snow. It's not an isolated incident, though. If the new driver doesn't learn to operate that plow properly, it will cost this little town thousands of dollars to fix the problems he's causing. Many of our back roads are gravel, and without clear ditches to divert the water away from the roads, they can easily be washed out by heavy rain. He's been carelessly plowing gravel from the shoulders into the ditches, and we may have to hire an excavator to clear them in the spring.

Ah well.
 
I was supposed to be up in Seattle today but wasn't about to drive through a snow storm last night.

That was a tough call. It was a very important meeting and the roads may or may not have been okay, but it looks like I made the right call. It was snowing here by 2 PM. Later, it was 31 degrees F and raining.