Will the Football Reach the Goalpost? - Projectile Motion in Soccer Practice

  • Thread starter Thread starter utkarsh009
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Projectile
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
utkarsh009
Messages
46
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



in a soccer practice session the football is kept at the centre of the field 40 yards from the 10 feet high goalpost. a goal is attempted by kicking the football at a speed of 64 feet/second at an angle of 450(45 degree) to the horizontal. will the ball reach the goalpost?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the initial velocity, acceleration & distance for both x & y directions.
Then you'll have to use the equations of motion.
 
ok i have proceeded in this way. just check where am i wrong:-
u (in both x and y directions) = 64/root 2 feet/sec
distance of the ball from goalpost = 40 yards = 120 feet
a (in x direciton)=0
therefore, 120 = 64/root 2 x t + 1/2 x 0 x t^2 => t = 15 x root 2 / 8 second
therefore, s (in y direction) in that time = 64/root 2 x 15 x root2 /8 + 1/2 x (-10) x 225/32
= 85 feet (approx.)
but, 85 feet is more than 10 feet which is the height of goalpost. therefore it will pass over the goalpost and it won't be a goal.
therefore the answer is no.
but in the textbook it is given that the answer is yes.
 
I don't watch football. So I have no idea what the terms mean. But I think question is asking whether ball will be able to travel 120 ft. or not. which according to your calculation it would. (May be i am wrong i don't know)
 
I'm still trying to figure out what a football is doing at a soccer practice...
 
utkarsh1 said:
I don't watch football. So I have no idea what the terms mean. But I think question is asking whether ball will be able to travel 120 ft. or not. which according to your calculation it would. (May be i am wrong i don't know)

yah, if the question asks for that then i am done with the problem. it's quite easy. thanks a lot!
 
i cannot believe what a silly mistake i was doing. i was taking everything in feet and second but was taking acceleration in y direction in metre/second square. now i have solved the problem and got the correct answer. the acceleration should be 33 ft/s^2 (approx.).
 
Last edited: