Projectile Motion of a Football Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a football being kicked towards a 3.2 meter tall goal post from 30 meters away. The ball has a velocity of 18 meters/sec at an angle of 50 degrees from the ground. The question is how high off the ground the ball is when it reaches the goal post and whether it makes the field goal. The solution involves using basic trigonometric functions to find the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity, and using the displacement and vertical velocity to find the time at which the ball reaches the goal post. The conversation also suggests using the SUVAT equations to determine the ball's height when it reaches the goal post.
Esau Garcia

Homework Statement

A football is kicked from the ground toward a 3.2 meter tall goal post 30 meters away. The ball leaves the ground with a velocity of 18 meters/sec at an angle of 50 degrees from the ground. How high off of the ground is the ball when it reaches the goal post? Does the kicker make the field goal? How high above or below the bar is the ball when it arrives at the goal post?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my first thread because I'm new so bare with me. I started the problem by drawing a diagram with a vector of 18 meters/sec, the horizontal component and the vertical component. I solved for each component by using basic trig functions. The results are Vy=13.79 meters/sec and Vx=11 meters/sec. From there I used the total displacement of 30 meters divided by the vertical component of 11 meters/sec to get a time of 2.59 seconds. This time would be the moment in which the ball reaches the goalpost (Is that correct?) But I'm just having difficulty answering the questions. Thanks for the help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the time at which the ball will be over head the goal post. Now just think about the motion of the ball along the vertical axis and determine how high off the ground it is. You know the inital velocity, time and acceleration.

Esau Garcia said:

Homework Equations

Does "SUVAT" ring a bell?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How does a football follow a projectile motion?

A football follows a projectile motion when it is kicked or thrown. It has an initial velocity and then moves in a parabolic path due to the force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the projectile motion of a football?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a football include the initial velocity, the angle at which it is kicked or thrown, and air resistance.

4. Can the distance and height of a football's trajectory be calculated?

Yes, using the equations of projectile motion, the distance and height of a football's trajectory can be calculated based on its initial velocity and launch angle.

5. How does air resistance affect the projectile motion of a football?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the projectile motion of a football by slowing it down and altering its trajectory. This is why the shape of a football is designed to minimize air resistance as much as possible.