Will the future quantum computers use binary, ternary or quaternary?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of qubits in future quantum computers and the confusion surrounding the numeral system they will use. While qubits can hold more information than traditional bits, they still operate on a binary system with the ability for superposition. The conversation also mentions the use of multiple levels in Flash devices, highlighting the flexibility of storing and manipulating information.
Radix0
Hello.

Our current computers use bits, so they use the binary numeral system. But I heard that the future quantum computers will use qubits instead of simple bits.

Since in the word "qubit" there is the word "bi" I first thought that this meant that quantum computers would use binary (base 2).

But then I heard that qubits had three possible states: 0, 1, or a superposition of 0 and 1. So I then thought that this must mean that they will use ternary (base 3).

But then I saw that one qubit can hold as much information as two bits. So I thought that this maybe mean that they will use quaternary (base 4).

So which numeral system will the future quantum computers use: binary, ternary or quaternary?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Quantum computers are still binary - "quantum binary", they can have arbitrary superpositions of 0 and 1. 0 and 1 are special cases of a superposition.

I sense some confusion in the question. The "binary numeral system" is something we can use to describe the state of something (for example the contents of a memory location). How that information is stored and manipulated is something else entirely. For example: The makers of Flash devices routinely use four levels inside each cell, corresponding to "00", "01", "10" and "11". Lately, Flash devices with eight levels are being produced and used, especially in SSDs.

Radix0 hasn't been here for months, it is unlikely that he is still watching this thread.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. The answer is that the future quantum computers will likely use a combination of all three numeral systems. While traditional computers use bits, which have a binary (base 2) state, quantum computers use qubits, which can have multiple states including binary, ternary (base 3), and quaternary (base 4). This allows quantum computers to process information much more efficiently and handle more complex tasks. So, the future quantum computers will use all three numeral systems, depending on the task at hand and the type of information being processed. I hope this helps answer your question.

1. Will quantum computers exclusively use binary, ternary, or quaternary?

At this point, it is still unclear which system quantum computers will primarily use. While binary is currently the most widely used system in traditional computers, ternary and quaternary systems are being explored for their potential advantages in quantum computing.

2. What are the potential advantages of using ternary or quaternary systems in quantum computers?

Ternary and quaternary systems have the potential to store and process more information in a single quantum bit (qubit) compared to binary systems. This could lead to faster and more efficient computation.

3. Are there any current quantum computers using ternary or quaternary systems?

As of now, most quantum computers are still in the early stages of development and primarily use binary systems. However, some research groups and companies are experimenting with ternary and quaternary systems, and it is possible that future quantum computers may utilize these systems.

4. How do binary, ternary, and quaternary systems differ from each other?

Binary systems use two states (0 and 1) to represent information, while ternary systems use three states (0, 1, and 2) and quaternary systems use four states (0, 1, 2, and 3). This means that ternary and quaternary systems have the potential to store and process more information compared to binary systems.

5. What are the challenges in implementing ternary or quaternary systems in quantum computers?

One of the main challenges is developing the necessary hardware and software to support ternary or quaternary systems. Additionally, these systems may require different coding and programming techniques, which would require significant research and development.