Will the heat transfer be effective or not?

In summary, connecting a copper strip to the heat sink of a PC and dipping the other end in cold water may help in cooling the heat sink and, in turn, the PC. However, the cooling effect may be limited and can be enhanced by using a heat pipe instead of a copper strip, adding fins to the end of the heat pipe, and creating water flow through the fins. It is important to monitor the temperature of the water to ensure it is effectively cooling the PC.
adilsyyed
If I connect copper strip to the heat sink of my PC and then dip the other end of the strip in cold water. Will it help in cooling the heat sink and in return the PC.
I shall be thankful for your answer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
it will help a little. If you want to enhance the cooling effect, you can try follwoing:
1,use heat pipe to instand of copper strip
2,add some fins on the end of heat pipe
3,make water flow by fins

BTW, pay attentent to the water's temperature. If no coolig for the water, its temperature will increase and reduce the cooling effect of PC.

Pardon my hrrrrr...hrrrr
Could you explain a littttttttle bit

1. What factors affect the effectiveness of heat transfer?

The effectiveness of heat transfer can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the two objects, the material properties of the objects, the surface area of contact, and the presence of any insulating materials.

2. How can I improve the efficiency of heat transfer?

To improve the efficiency of heat transfer, you can increase the temperature difference between the two objects, use materials with high thermal conductivity, increase the surface area of contact, and eliminate any insulating materials.

3. Will heat transfer be more effective in solids or liquids?

In general, heat transfer is more effective in solids compared to liquids. This is because solids have a higher density and a more ordered molecular structure, allowing for better conduction of heat.

4. Can heat transfer occur in a vacuum?

Yes, heat transfer can occur in a vacuum through radiation. Objects with a higher temperature will emit thermal radiation, which can be absorbed by objects with a lower temperature, resulting in heat transfer.

5. How can I calculate the effectiveness of heat transfer?

The effectiveness of heat transfer can be calculated using the heat transfer coefficient, the surface area, and the temperature difference between the two objects. The formula for heat transfer effectiveness is Q = U x A x ΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, U is the heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area, and ΔT is the temperature difference.