Will the title of my major have any effect on graduate school?

In summary, the conversation is about a math major who is considering three different options in their major - theoretical, applied, and modeling. They are unsure if the title of their major will affect their entrance to graduate school and which option would be the best choice. Some factors to consider are the specific courses they have taken, their interests, and the requirements for each option. It is suggested that they may want to explore courses in topology or abstract algebra before deciding on the theoretical option, and the applied option may be the most complementary to their interest in physics.
elarson89
I'm a math major, and will be taking enough math courses to qualify for 3 different mathematics options, theoretical, applied, and modeling. Does anyone think that the title of my math major will have any effect on my entrance to graduate school? Secondly, in your opinion which one sounds the best?

I initially picked theoretical. By the way, I am a math and physics double major (and double degree) if that impacts anything.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What "titles" are you talking about? I presume you mean "concentrations" in the math major. Concentrations in "Analysis" or "Algebra" probably would not bother any faculty. "Applied Math" is vague enough that it might raise some eyebrows. If you are going to graduate school a concentration in "secondary teaching" probably wouldn't make much sense! In any case, I think that graduate school admissions committees will pay more attention to the specific courses you take rather than a "title".

Hi,
Welcome to PF!

To halls: I think the school he is in defines the concentrations for undergrad to be what he has stated: Theoretical, applied, and modeling.

I think you need to answer a few questions:

1) What are you going to study in Grad school? Math or Physics?
2) Do know have any idea what type of math or physics you will study in grad school?
3) What have been some of your favorite math courses so far?
4) What are the differences in required courses for the 3 options?

I'm not quite sure on what I'll go to grad school for, but probably in physics and may pursue a higher degree in astrophysics.

So far I've taken diffy q, intro to linear algebra, and a combinatorics class. I'm not sure what my favorite is but i really enjoyed both diffy q and combinatorics, linear algebra not so much. But that could have very well been because I hate the textbook. As far as the requirements for the different options, its a matter of 4 classes, with most of them cross-listed in the other options. So in reality, there isn't much of a difference besides the name.

Well, before you jump into theoretical you probably should take a course like topology or Abstract Algebra. Something that deals with Groups, Fields, Rings etc. Also Theoretical may not be the most complementary to physics.

Modeling sounds like it might be more numerical analysis and statistics, that may not be right for physics either.

Since you are considering Physics in grad school, and since you enjoyed diffy qs, and since the other two options don't seem to fit, I would lean toward the applied.

1. Will choosing a more specialized major increase my chances of getting into a graduate school?

While having a specialized major may be beneficial for certain graduate programs, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your overall academic performance, research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statement also play a significant role in the admissions process.

2. Is it better to choose a major that aligns with my intended graduate program?

In some cases, having a major that aligns with your intended graduate program can be helpful as it shows a strong interest and dedication to the field. However, it is not always necessary as graduate schools often value diversity and a well-rounded education.

3. Will having a less common major hurt my chances of getting into a graduate school?

Having a less common major can actually work in your favor as it can make your application stand out. As long as you have taken relevant courses and have a strong academic record, your major should not negatively impact your chances of getting into a graduate school.

4. Can I switch majors in my undergraduate studies and still be accepted into a graduate program?

It is possible to switch majors in your undergraduate studies and still be accepted into a graduate program, as long as you have taken the necessary courses and have a strong academic record. However, it is important to carefully consider your decision and make sure that the new major aligns with your career goals.

5. Do graduate schools have a preference for certain majors?

Graduate schools do not have a preference for certain majors as they value diversity and a well-rounded education. However, it is important to choose a major that you are passionate about and can excel in, as this will ultimately help you stand out in the admissions process.