Win 8.1, Outlook: Read emails not "Deselecting"

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of email messages appearing in a different font depending on whether they have been read or not. The sender is trying to find a way to go back to the old setup where already-read messages are easily identified. They mention using a PC and Outlook, and ask for help in finding their version of Outlook. They also mention accessing files and folders, and trying to turn off keyboard shortcuts. The conversation ends with the sender finding a solution by clicking on the sender's name instead of the title.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Emails in my Outlook inbox would initial appear in dark font. Once I read them , they would have a "standard" color font, that of standard, non-underlined text.
Emails in my Outlook inbox would initial appear in dark font:
1)Not Read
2)Read
The font appears as in 1) above when not read, and in font as in 2) after I have read it . This is not just an esthetic issue; the standard font identifies the messages I already read so I don't have to reread them. Any idea on how to go back to the old setup where already-read messages become deselected into having standard darkness font?
I ended up with a PC as weird and moody as me. Poetic justice? :).

Computer science news on Phys.org
What Outlook are you using? Application or webmail? If app, what version?

Likes WWGD
Borg said:
What Outlook are you using? Application or webmail? If app, what version?
I am having trouble finding it, all the links I found ask me to check 'file' , but in my setup there is no icon or other link to file. Will keep looking. EDIT: I have access to 'files', which links to the files and folders I have stored, but not to info on my version. EDIT2 : I know I had this before I had an Office account --one my school gave me for free a while back. Please see below for the closest I could find.

Last edited:

Webmail Outlook.

Likes WWGD
Try this:

• Informative
Likes sysprog and phinds
I would turn off the keyboard shortcuts also. I don't know if those might be messing with the display.

Likes WWGD
Borg said:
I would turn off the keyboard shortcuts also. I don't know if those might be messing with the display.
Wow, thanks and sorry to occupy you with this; I think I found another alternative by chance: I click on the sender's name to open the post, instead of clicking on the title (embarrassed).

Thanks Borg, I followed up on your post and changed it any way and it works.

Likes Borg and sysprog

1. Why are my emails not deselecting in Outlook on Windows 8.1?

There could be a few reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the emails are being automatically marked as read when you click on them. You can change this setting in the Outlook options. Another possibility is that there is a glitch in the program. Try restarting Outlook or updating to the latest version.

2. How can I manually deselect emails in Outlook on Windows 8.1?

To manually deselect emails, you can either right-click on the email and select "Mark as Unread," or you can use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+U." This will mark the email as unread and remove the selection.

3. Why is my Outlook on Windows 8.1 not responding when I try to deselect emails?

This could be due to a slow internet connection or a large number of emails in your inbox. Try waiting a few moments for the program to catch up, or try deselecting smaller batches of emails at a time.

4. Is there a way to automatically deselect emails after I read them in Outlook on Windows 8.1?

Yes, you can change the "Mark as read" settings in Outlook to automatically deselect emails after a certain period of time. Go to File > Options > Mail and under the "Outlook panes" section, you can adjust the "Mark items as read" time interval.

5. How do I permanently delete emails that are not deselecting in Outlook on Windows 8.1?

To permanently delete emails, you can either select the email and press the "Delete" key on your keyboard or right-click on the email and select "Delete." You can also use the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+D." Keep in mind that this action cannot be undone.