Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wind tunnel to do smoke testing of my Formula Vee racing car

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    Hello.I need help with wind tunnel.The test section is 2m x 2.5 m x 5 m long.How do I work out size of inlet cone.Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? What is the wind tunnel for? What do you know so far about wind tunnel design? Is this for a school project?

4. Apr 26, 2015 #3
    I know a fair amount.I have built the wind tunnel found on Science Buddies Web site.Now I want to scale that up to do smoke testing of my Formula Vee racing car.From the test section size should be able to work out contraction cone size needed.

5. Apr 26, 2015 #4
    I am 56 yrs old so not for any school project for my personal use

6. Apr 26, 2015 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What wind velocity do you want to support? Can you show us what work you've done so far? :smile:

7. Apr 26, 2015 #6
    I worked out 15 to 20 m/s.As said have test section area plotted out.How important is contraction cone for only smoke testing.Do not need cd factor and drag etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook