Wind tunnel to do smoke testing of my Formula Vee racing car

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Jam 1959
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello.I need help with wind tunnel.The test section is 2m x 2.5 m x 5 m long.How do I work out size of inlet cone.Thanks in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Jam 1959 said:
Hello.I need help with wind tunnel.The test section is 2m x 2.5 m x 5 m long.How do I work out size of inlet cone.Thanks in advance

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? What is the wind tunnel for? What do you know so far about wind tunnel design? Is this for a school project?
 
I know a fair amount.I have built the wind tunnel found on Science Buddies Web site.Now I want to scale that up to do smoke testing of my Formula Vee racing car.From the test section size should be able to work out contraction cone size needed.
 
I am 56 yrs old so not for any school project for my personal use
 
Jam 1959 said:
I know a fair amount.I have built the wind tunnel found on Science Buddies Web site.Now I want to scale that up to do smoke testing of my Formula Vee racing car.From the test section size should be able to work out contraction cone size needed.

What wind velocity do you want to support? Can you show us what work you've done so far? :smile:
 
I worked out 15 to 20 m/s.As said have test section area plotted out.How important is contraction cone for only smoke testing.Do not need cd factor and drag etc.