Wind tunnel to do smoke testing of my Formula Vee racing car

In summary, the individual is seeking help with determining the size of an inlet cone for a wind tunnel project involving smoke testing of a Formula Vee racing car. They have already built a wind tunnel from a website and have a test section size in mind. They are 56 years old and this project is for personal use. The desired wind velocity is 15-20 m/s and the individual is wondering how important the contraction cone is for their specific testing purposes.
Jam 1959
Hello.I need help with wind tunnel.The test section is 2m x 2.5 m x 5 m long.How do I work out size of inlet cone.Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jam 1959 said:
Hello.I need help with wind tunnel.The test section is 2m x 2.5 m x 5 m long.How do I work out size of inlet cone.Thanks in advance

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? What is the wind tunnel for? What do you know so far about wind tunnel design? Is this for a school project?

I know a fair amount.I have built the wind tunnel found on Science Buddies Web site.Now I want to scale that up to do smoke testing of my Formula Vee racing car.From the test section size should be able to work out contraction cone size needed.

I am 56 yrs old so not for any school project for my personal use

Jam 1959 said:
I know a fair amount.I have built the wind tunnel found on Science Buddies Web site.Now I want to scale that up to do smoke testing of my Formula Vee racing car.From the test section size should be able to work out contraction cone size needed.

What wind velocity do you want to support? Can you show us what work you've done so far? :smile:

I worked out 15 to 20 m/s.As said have test section area plotted out.How important is contraction cone for only smoke testing.Do not need cd factor and drag etc.

Related to Wind tunnel to do smoke testing of my Formula Vee racing car

1. How does a wind tunnel work for smoke testing?

A wind tunnel is a controlled environment that simulates airflow around an object, such as a racing car. Smoke is then introduced into the tunnel to visualize the flow pattern and identify areas of high and low pressure. This allows for the optimization of the car's aerodynamics and overall performance.

2. Why is smoke testing important for a Formula Vee racing car?

Smoke testing allows for the identification of areas on the car's body that may be causing drag or turbulence, which can significantly impact the car's speed and handling. By optimizing the car's aerodynamics, smoke testing can improve its overall performance on the racetrack.

3. How long does a wind tunnel smoke test take?

The duration of a wind tunnel smoke test can vary depending on the complexity of the car's design and the specific goals of the test. Generally, a smoke test can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day to complete.

4. Can a wind tunnel smoke test be done on a smaller scale?

Yes, there are smaller wind tunnels available that can be used for smoke testing of Formula Vee racing cars. These tunnels may not have the same level of precision and accuracy as larger, more expensive tunnels, but they can still provide valuable information for improving the car's aerodynamics.

5. How often should a wind tunnel smoke test be conducted for a Formula Vee racing car?

This can vary depending on the resources and goals of the racing team. Some teams may conduct smoke testing before every race to fine-tune their car's performance, while others may only do it once or twice a season. Ultimately, it is up to the team to determine the frequency of smoke testing based on their budget and needs.