Building a Small Closed Wind Tunnel: Resources & Info

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for information on how to design a small close wind tunnel for a school project. They are asking for suggestions on where to find information and discussing the requirements for the wind tunnel such as speed range and test section size. They also mention difficulties in finding information on how to dimension the honeycomb and finding the coefficient K for localized pressure loss.
Xander141
Greetings,

for the school I must find some information about the building of a small close wind tunnel .

Some one know where to find it?

Good day!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Xander141 said:
Greetings,

for the school I must find some information about the building of a small close wind tunnel .

Some one know where to find it?

Good day!

Don't expect a magic answer already designed for you. Just consider your requirements and have a look at wind tunnels in general for inspiration.

There is a lot more that goes into designing a wind tunnel than just saying "I need to design a wind tunnel." Even if one if us wanted to do your homework for you we couldn't because you have provided no information.

What speed range do you want your tunnel to operate in? What kind of unit Reynolds number do you want to achieve and under what flow conditions? How large do you want your test section?

Last edited:
I'm sorry,

I don't search for one who can do my homework... :)

I only need if there is a Institute or a University that I don't have already find it.

At the moment I don't have the user requirement, so I can't say nothing.

I've already found the NASA site and the Loughboroug University archive.

Some one has another idea?

Bye

Well depending on how much you already know about aerodynamics, you may want to start simple, such as with a textbook such as "Fundamentals of Aerodynamics" by Anderson.

Thank you for the infos.

I read some documents, but I don't find nothing about how to dimension the Honeycomb,

I found only something about the dimensioning the screen, do you think it is the same?

I tried searching the localised pressure lost but I don't know how to find the coefficent K.

See you

1. What materials are needed to build a small closed wind tunnel?

The materials needed to build a small closed wind tunnel include a fan, a motor, a power source, a flexible duct, a frame or structure, and a wind sensor. Other optional materials may include a speed controller, data acquisition system, and various measuring instruments.

2. What are the steps to build a small closed wind tunnel?

The steps to build a small closed wind tunnel include designing the structure, gathering materials, assembling the frame, installing the fan and motor, attaching the duct, and adding any optional components. Then, calibrate and test the wind tunnel before use.

3. How much does it cost to build a small closed wind tunnel?

The cost of building a small closed wind tunnel can vary greatly depending on the materials and components chosen. On average, it can cost anywhere from $500 to $3000. However, it is possible to build one for less if using recycled or salvaged materials.

4. What are the benefits of using a small closed wind tunnel?

A small closed wind tunnel is an affordable and convenient option for testing aerodynamics and air flow. It allows for controlled and repeatable experiments, making it useful for research and product development. It also takes up less space compared to larger wind tunnels.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a small closed wind tunnel?

Yes, safety precautions should always be taken when using a small closed wind tunnel. This includes wearing protective gear such as goggles and gloves, ensuring proper ventilation, and following instructions for operating the fan and motor. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the wind tunnel to prevent any malfunctions that could cause harm.