Window screen focuses bricks beyond?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether a uniform diffraction grating (a window screen) can act as a lens to focus objects (such as bricks on a building) for a nearsighted observer. One person mentions the possibility of using defraction to manipulate light rays, while another suggests that the effect may be due to Moire patterns rather than the pinhole effect. The conversation ends with the individual being grateful for the suggestions and realizing that the effect is likely due to Moire patterns.
Loren Booda
Can a uniform diffraction grating (a window screen) alone focus objects (bricks on a building beyond) so that a nearsighted observer (I) can better image them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Loren Booda said:
Can a uniform diffraction grating (a window screen) alone focus objects (bricks on a building beyond) so that a nearsighted observer (I) can better image them?
Diffraction gratings don't focus things to my knowladge. However, what you may be expieriencing might have something to do with Morie Patterns.

I say this without having read the link (sorry I am lazy its late :P) but i think he means that you could change the path of the light rays with defraction and effectively use it as a lens.

Loren Booda said:

If you mean that things seem to be in better focus when you stand right up close to a fine mesh and peer through it at distant objects, then it is likely the pinhole effect is negating your refractive error.

Read this for a very simple explanation : http://www.myopia.org/pinholes.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, folks. It had me fooled! Indeed it must be a Moire pattern rather than a pinhole effect, since there were many apertures contributing to the interference, without substantial loss of light. I guess approximate coherence is canceled out with many "pinholes." Two great suggestions that I initially overlooked.

1. What is the purpose of "Window screen focuses bricks beyond"?

The purpose of "Window screen focuses bricks beyond" is to create an illusion of depth by projecting the image of bricks beyond the actual physical window screen.

2. How does "Window screen focuses bricks beyond" work?

The window screen is made of a material that allows light to pass through it. The image of bricks is projected onto the screen using a light source, such as a projector or LED lights. The screen then refracts the light and creates the illusion of bricks beyond the screen.

3. What are the benefits of using "Window screen focuses bricks beyond"?

One of the main benefits is its ability to create an interesting visual effect that can enhance the aesthetics of a room. It can also make a space feel larger and more open by creating an illusion of depth.

4. Can "Window screen focuses bricks beyond" be used for privacy?

Yes, it can be used for privacy as the projected image can block the view from outside. This can be useful for rooms facing a busy street or for creating a private space within a larger room.

5. Is "Window screen focuses bricks beyond" easy to install?

It depends on the specific product and its installation process. Some may require professional installation, while others may be designed for easy DIY installation. It is important to carefully follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer for the best results.