Windows Server 12 R after DNS set up

In summary, after installing a fresh Windows server 2012R, the user was able to log in with the administrator account and create a new DNS/forest. However, when attempting to log in with the local administrator account after signing out, the system gave an incorrect password error due to the computer being promoted to a Domain Controller. This is normal behavior and the user must always log in with authorized domain credentials.
Silicon Waffle
After I installed a fresh windows server 2012R, I could log in with administrator account, e.g MYWIN\Administrator (MYWIN is my computer name). Then I created a DNS/forest e.g ABC.com , I then could log in with ABC\Administrator.
For some reason I now sign out and would want to log in with MYWIN\Administrator, but the system says that my password is incorrect (I do enter "MYWIN\Administrator" in username textbox).

Hey Silicon,
By default, as soon as a system is defined as a Domain Controller (DC), you are no longer allowed to log into it locally. Local windows user accounts are stored within the SAM database. When a computer is promoted to a DC, this is replaced with a domain database. So when you provide your local admin credentials, there's nothing for it to check against.

This is normal behaviour for a DC. You must always login with authorised domain credentials.

Cheers

1. What is Windows Server 12 R after DNS set up?

Windows Server 12 R refers to the 12th version of the Windows Server operating system, released by Microsoft. After DNS (Domain Name System) is set up, it is used to manage and translate domain names into IP addresses, allowing computers to communicate with each other over a network.

2. How do I set up DNS on Windows Server 12 R?

To set up DNS on Windows Server 12 R, you can follow these steps:1. Open the Server Manager and click on "Add roles and features."2. Select "DNS Server" from the list of roles and click "Next."3. Follow the prompts to complete the installation process.4. Once the installation is complete, open the DNS Manager and configure your DNS settings as needed.

3. What are the benefits of using Windows Server 12 R for DNS?

Some benefits of using Windows Server 12 R for DNS include:- Centralized management of DNS settings- Integration with Active Directory for easy management of user and computer accounts- Support for DNS security features such as DNSSEC- Scalability and reliability for large networks- Compatibility with other Microsoft products and services

4. Can I use Windows Server 12 R for DNS in a non-Microsoft environment?

Yes, Windows Server 12 R can be used for DNS in a non-Microsoft environment. It supports DNS standards and can be configured to work with non-Microsoft operating systems and applications.

5. How do I troubleshoot DNS issues on Windows Server 12 R?

If you encounter DNS issues on Windows Server 12 R, some troubleshooting steps you can take include:- Checking network connectivity- Verifying DNS server settings- Checking for DNS server errors in the Event Viewer- Using the nslookup command to test DNS resolution- Restarting the DNS Server service- Checking for any recent changes or updates that may have caused the issue