Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows Server 12 R after DNS set up

1. Dec 4, 2015 #1
    After I installed a fresh windows server 2012R, I could log in with administrator account, e.g MYWIN\Administrator (MYWIN is my computer name). Then I created a DNS/forest e.g ABC.com , I then could log in with ABC\Administrator.
    For some reason I now sign out and would want to log in with MYWIN\Administrator, but the system says that my password is incorrect (I do enter "MYWIN\Administrator" in username textbox).

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Dec 9, 2015 #3
    :H Have to live with what it is now.

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4
    Hey Silicon,
    By default, as soon as a system is defined as a Domain Controller (DC), you are no longer allowed to log into it locally. Local windows user accounts are stored within the SAM database. When a computer is promoted to a DC, this is replaced with a domain database. So when you provide your local admin credentials, there's nothing for it to check against.

This is normal behaviour for a DC. You must always login with authorised domain credentials.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook