Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows System Restore Question

1. Feb 24, 2008 #1
    I find that Windows System Restore has gotten me out of many a jam, both in the XP and Vista environment. My understanding is that it basically resets the registry keys to values that existed at a predetermined time. I am not sure if it does other things as well as relating to permissions and networking, too.

It would be really nice, after a successful system restore, if the computer would tell me which registry keys changed during the restore. If it were only one or two keys, it would go a long way to pinpointing problems for prevention in the future. Or, a report about anything it reset that changed value.

Has anyone found a way to get this info after a restore?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The information isn't retained, so I don't think there's a way to answer it./ If you happened to back up the registry shortly beforehand, I think you'd find thousands or even tens of thousands of changes. It's hard to use a computer for an hour without making at least a dozen changes to the registry.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?