Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Windows Vista service pack 2 fails to install.

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    I am using windows vista home premium 64-bit. I tried downloading, and installing SP2 from the automatic windows updater, but when it is installing, it does so indefinitely. I let my computer idle for literally about Six hours while it was trying to install SP2, but it didn't budge 1%.

What are the advantages SP2 has over SP1? Is there any where on the internet that I can download it for free? Perhaps from an official microsoft source?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2
    You can download everything from the ms website (link), but this may also be a bug that's gonna require filing a bug report and reinstalling vista. Do you have trouble with other updates?
  4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    Note that some antivirus and firewall programs may interfere with installing. I think this is the more common problem. But you're not the only one trudging through this and there seem to be many possibilities:

http://windowsfixup.com/2009/05/windows-vista-sp2-wont-install-fixes/ [Broken]

Other discussions:

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Jan 16, 2010 #4
    This may be off-topic, but what advantages does Windows Vista SP2 have over SP1?
  6. Jan 16, 2010 #5
    Since it fixes some security issues, I suppose it should be installed anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook