Winning Nobel Prize: Friend's Experiment to Prove Electron Not a Particle

  • Thread starter Thread starter AkInfinity
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Nobel prize
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
AkInfinity
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hey I got a quick question,

one of my friends says that he made an experiment in which he can definatley prove that the electron is not a particle :o

I think it's poppycock but he says once I see the experiment there is no way I will disagree with him.

He wants credit for it and thus doesn't want to show it to me yet for saftey (which I am okay with) but he doesn't know what to do about it. Should he right a paper and submit it for publishing? or if he makes a youtube video of the experiment can it be stolen by someone else? What is the fastest way he can get it out and get credit for it 10000000 dollars or whatever so I can see it?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The best move is that he buys some actual physics books and that he starts reading them. His idea is likely to be rubbish.
 
Proving negatives in science is more or less impossible.

Besides, I recommend that your "friend" studies how the extension of the wave-particle duality of light has already occurred in terms of matter. This includes electrons. So it is entirely plausible that your pal has somehow devised a way to show that electrons can be shown to behave as waves, rather than particles, but he would merely be mimicking what has been done since 1923, when Louis de Broglie originally showed that.

This, of course, does not prove that electrons are waves, and not particles, but merely that they can behave as both, just like light.
 
I agree with you guys that he's full of it,

But I am still intrigued as he is very smart. Lol and you guys didnt really answer my question lol :D

I told him that to lok at thomsons etc at debroigle at compton, and he said he did and that there are others that agreed with him that electron isn't a particle like heavyside steinmenz tesla and oliver lodge...
 
If he really thinks that it's worthwhile, he should write it up in a professional manner and submit it to a peer-reviewed journal. The mere fact that YouTube was even mentioned is not a good sign, though. (Do the term "cold fusion" ring a bell? :rolleyes:)