Why am I experiencing constant wireless network issues?

In summary, the author suggests that there may be a problem with the wireless connection, and that replacing splitters or a -7dB splitter may help. Additionally, the author recommends checking to see if other devices are experiencing packet loss.
Drakkith
Mentor
So I've been having consistent problems with my wireless connectivity. I ran the troubleshooting option and got the following results:

Connectivity
Packet statistics
Ndis Rx: 12929
Ndis Tx: 7601
Unicast decrypt success: 1845
Multicast decrypt success: 0
Unicast decrypt failure: 0
Multicast decrypt failure: 0
Rx success: 1938
Rx failure: 11679
Tx success: 1217
Tx failure: 1
Tx retry: 20
Tx multiple retry: 4
Tx max lifetime exceeded: 0
Tx ACK failure: 952
Roaming history: 3 item(s)
Times: 2014-11-27 23:20:25-382
Roamed from BSSID: 00-8e-f2-e7-70-88
Reason: 0x00000002
Times: 2014-11-27 23:20:21-799
Times: 2014-11-27 23:19:56-705

And at the end: Result of diagnosis: There may be problem.

I'm assuming 11,000 Rx failures is bad...

Computer science news on Phys.org
If you've tried changing the WiFi channel ( to avoid conflict with your neighbours WiFi ) without success, gobble a tube of Pringles ...

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/pringles.JPG
http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template/

A parabolic reflector not only strengthens your WiFi signal in your home , it can also lower the odds of your neighbours knocking you off by attenuating their signal as seen by the wireless router.

Last edited:
Generally speaking high Rx errors is caused by some kind of wireless interference. Neighbour Wi-Fi is on the same channel (as B0b-A mentioned), microwave ovens, cellphones, cordless phones, etc.

The fix is usually improving your connection to your access point (AP).
As B0b-A suggested, try to figure out what channel your closest neighbours are using and use a channel at least 2 steps away from what they are using. Eg: if they are on 6, then you have to be 4 and lower or 8 and higher.
Again, s B0b-A suggested, see if you can get a parabolic antenna, hopefully for both your AP and your system but at least for your AP and direct it towards you wireless systems.
If your router firmware allows it, increase the strength of your wifi signal.
Try using a different router, this may be cause by a failing router also.
Check with another wireless device, this may also be cause by a failing wireless adapter on the system

Changing channels doesn't seem to help things. Even on a channel with no one near me I still get upwards of 90% packet loss. I've tried placing my laptop about 2 feet from my wireless router but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I don't have any way to make an antenna at the moment, so I can't try that until I go get a pringles can or something.

If you're 2 feet away from it and you're still getting packet loss, then adding a directional antenna won't do anything.
What about other wireless devices? Are you experiencing packet loss with all of them?

Routaran said:
If you're 2 feet away from it and you're still getting packet loss, then adding a directional antenna won't do anything.
What about other wireless devices? Are you experiencing packet loss with all of them?

I don't know. I have a Kindle Fire and my cell phone, but I don't know how to find packet loss with them. I'm pretty sure my Kindle has been having problems too, if the fact that my pandora music app likes to drop songs here and there is any indication.

if you have an android phone, you can download a terminal app from the play store and then run a ping test. it'll show if you have any packet loss.

Are you using splitters on your cable or is the cable the wrong type? From my previous link:
The Problem: You are happily surfing the Internet and every now and then the connection drops. Perhaps you see the light flicker down to nothing on your broadband cable modem and then suddenly all LEDs light up again.

Quick Fix: This is a common issue, particularly for those with cable Internet service or FIOS. You wouldn’t believe how often this problem is caused by a degraded signal coming into the cable modem. If you use splitters, try replacing them. If you have several splitters on an inbound cable connection, say one coming into your home and another to break out the cable signal in your home entertainment system, check to see if they are -7dB splitters (printed on the outside of the splitter). Try replacing a -7dB splitter that your broadband modem is connected to with a -3.5 dB splitter. This may decrease signal loss. Also, if you happen to have a three-way splitter and you are not using the third connection, try replacing it with a two-way splitter.

Borg said:
Are you using splitters on your cable or is the cable the wrong type? From my previous link:

Nope. My issue isn't with my wired connection, only my wireless. My desktop and Xbox are both connected by LAN cables and work perfectly.

Drakkith said:
Nope. My issue isn't with my wired connection, only my wireless. My desktop and Xbox are both connected by LAN cables and work perfectly.
Have you tried connecting your computer directly to the modem like your desktop? Does it work without issues in that case?

The most likely cause is one of two things. Interference or failing hardware.

I think that by moving basically right next to the access point, you can rule out interference. That signal is going to be loud and clear from that range.
This is most likely a hardware issue with either the AP or the notebook. Given that your kindle and your phone is also having issues, I'm leaning towards the AP as the culprit.

Here's what I would do. Connect the notebook to the AP by wire if you can and test it one more time, we need to rule out any software glitches on the notebook. I'm assuming that the wired connection works good.
Next, look up the service manual for your notebook computer. Find the steps to remove/replace the wireless adapter. Generally this involves removing 3 or 4 screws, real simple stuff. You need to reseat the two antenna connectors.

Once that's done, try to see if you can find a service manual for your AP. See if they have instructions on how to take this thing apart. If you cannot, then at least remove and reconnect the antenna. Then give it a go again.

If this fixes the problem, then we were just dealing with a loose connection. If this does not, the best thing to do now is to replace the AP and try with a different known good AP, see if you can wipe your best friend's router to test.

I downloaded a wireless signal analyzer on my cell phone that shows me signal strength and SNR. Over the past few minutes the signal from the router has been relatively steady at around -42 dBm, but my SNR fluctuates wildly. It's been averaging around 20 dB, but it randomly peaks upwards of 40+ and commonly falls to -40 dB. I even had about 30 seconds where the signal was steady at around -45 dBm, but my SNR was at -40 dB, during which my laptop disconnected from the network.

During this time I was using channel 1. I had a strong signal from a neighbor on channel 4. Other signals were spread across the channels but they were all much lower, around -70 dBm to -80 dBm.

Last edited:
Routaran said:
... the best thing to do now is to replace the AP and try with a different known good AP, see if you can {s}wipe your best friend's router to test.
If they are in the UK , and a neighbour has BT ( British Telecom) broadband , you may be able to use their wireless router without asking , legitimately, it's called "BT Fon network ". Most BT broadband customers don't know they are offering this service, it's the default : you have to "contract out" if you don't want to share your WiFi ... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/23/plods_in_fon_faux_pas/

Last edited:
Can your cell phone function as a wifi hot-spot? If so, see whether the laptop is happy to work using that as a source of wifi. Or test the laptop at a local Macdonald's or other wifi hotspot.

Troubleshooting Internet connection problems can be a challenge because there are so many possible causes. First, try these steps:

• Open Network Diagnostics by right-clicking the network icon in the notification area, and then clicking Diagnose and repair.
  • Make sure that all wires are connected (for example, make sure your modem is connected to a working phone jack or cable connection, either directly or through a router).
  • Reset your modem and router. Remove the power cord from the modem and/or router, wait at least 10 seconds, and then plug the modem and/or router back in.
  • Check your router. Because of the new networking features in Windows Vista, some older network routers are not fully compatible with Windows Vista and can cause problems.
If these steps don't solve the problem, look for a specific problem in the following list.

Show all
I can't connect to the Internet through a broadband Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) or cable connection.

I can't connect to the Internet through a dial-up connection, or I'm being disconnected.

I can only reach some websites.

My Internet connection is too slow.

I can't connect via the Internet to my workplace network from home (or another location).

When I try to connect with a VPN connection, I receive a message that says "The local computer does not support encryption" and has the error code 741.

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
Over the past few minutes the signal from the router has been relatively steady at around -42 dBm, but my SNR fluctuates wildly. It's been averaging around 20 dB, but it randomly peaks upwards of 40+ and commonly falls to -40 dB. I even had about 30 seconds where the signal was steady at around -45 dBm, but my SNR was at -40 dB, during which my laptop disconnected from the network.

That wide variation in SNR with a constant signal strength is really weird. What other RF sources are around? Do you have a cordless phone base station near the router?

PeterDonis said:
That wide variation in SNR with a constant signal strength is really weird. What other RF sources are around? Do you have a cordless phone base station near the router?

No, but I think I figured it out. I've been out of town for a few weeks and am currently staying at a friends place. They've been having issues with their wireless too, so I went out, bought a wireless router (not the modem/router combo) and tested it out at their place. I think this has solved all of my problems. The only way to be sure is to wait until I get it back to my apartment and use it there. Cross your fingers, toes, and/or other appendages.

Drakkith said:
Cross your fingers, toes, and/or other appendages.

Done. Good luck!

Sounds like you have a receiver problem on your wireless connection. Try replacing that chip.

Chronos said:
Sounds like you have a receiver problem on your wireless connection. Try replacing that chip.

My ASUS wireless router I just installed seems to have fixed the issue. I guess the gateway that my ISP gave me is just a piece of crap.

Drakkith said:
I guess the gateway that my ISP gave me is just a piece of crap.

That wouldn't be surprising. ;)

1. What is a wireless network issue?

A wireless network issue refers to any problem or complication that arises with the connection or functionality of a wireless network. This can include issues with signal strength, connectivity, speed, security, and compatibility.

2. What causes wireless network issues?

Wireless network issues can be caused by a variety of factors, including physical obstructions, interference from other electronic devices, outdated hardware or software, distance from the router, and network congestion. It can also be caused by user error, such as entering the wrong network password.

3. How can I troubleshoot wireless network issues?

To troubleshoot wireless network issues, you can try resetting your router, moving closer to the router, updating your network drivers, checking for interference, restarting your device, or resetting your network settings. You can also contact your internet service provider for assistance.

4. How can I prevent wireless network issues?

To prevent wireless network issues, you can ensure that your router is placed in a central location, away from physical obstructions and other electronic devices. You can also regularly update your network drivers, keep your hardware and software up to date, and use a strong and secure network password.

5. How can I improve the speed of my wireless network?

To improve the speed of your wireless network, you can try moving closer to the router, using a wired connection instead of a wireless one, updating your network drivers, and reducing interference from other devices. You can also consider upgrading your router or internet plan to a higher speed if needed.