With which sample(s) of halide does sulphuric acid act as an oxidising agent?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mutineer123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acid Act
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
mutineer123
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
Concentrated sulphuric acid is added to separate solid samples of sodium chloride, sodium
bromide or sodium iodide.
With which sample(s) does sulphuric acid act as an oxidising agent?
A sodium chloride only
B sodium chloride and sodium bromide
C sodium bromide and sodium iodide
D sodium iodide only

The answer is C. But what is the explanation? How do I approach questions like these, because I have no clue how to find the answer. I tried writing an equation for the 3 reaction, and they are all the same!
NaX + H2SO4 --> NaHSO4 + HX ( You can also use the Na2SO4 reaction) So what thread do I follow to crack this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It only oxidises Br- and I- to Br2 and I2 so C.) sodium bromide and sodium iodide should be the correct option
 
mutineer123 said:
Concentrated sulphuric acid is added to separate solid samples of sodium chloride, sodium
bromide or sodium iodide.
With which sample(s) does sulphuric acid act as an oxidising agent?
A sodium chloride only
B sodium chloride and sodium bromide
C sodium bromide and sodium iodide
D sodium iodide only

The answer is C. But what is the explanation? How do I approach questions like these, because I have no clue how to find the answer. I tried writing an equation for the 3 reaction, and they are all the same!
NaX + H2SO4 --> NaHSO4 + HX ( You can also use the Na2SO4 reaction) So what thread do I follow to crack this?

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group7/halideions.html