Without any loss of generality

• Thread starter Kostas Tzim
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Loss
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of the phrase "without any loss of generality assume..." in proofs, and provides an example of its application in a mathematical proof. The phrase is used to indicate that all cases being considered are essentially the same and no other possibilities exist. The conversation also mentions the abbreviation "wlog" for this phrase.
Kostas Tzim
Hello guys can someone please explain to me how to use the assertion, "without any loss of generality assume...", i find it kind of tricky to use...a simple example would be useful too. :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Kostas Tzim said:
Hello guys can someone please explain to me how to use the assertion, "without any loss of generality assume...", i find it kind of tricky to use...a simple example would be useful too. :)
Context ? Assume WHAT?

Kostas Tzim said:

Tossing out an example: If a and b are distinct real numbers prove that a^2 + b^2 > 2ab.

Proof:

Without loss of generality, assume a > b [... rest of proof ensues ...]

We can make this assumption because a and b are distinct. Either a > b or b > a. If a > b then our assumption is true. If b > a then we could reverse the labels and the re-labelled assumption is true. The rest of the proof would go through either way. There is no point in writing essentially the same proof twice, once with labels a and b and then again with labels b and a.

The "without loss of generality" phrasing is used to indicate that this sort of situation exists -- that all of the cases under consideration are really just re-labellings of a single base case and that no other possibilities exist.

Likes aikismos
i understand thanks!

Sometimes abbreviated "wlog".

Likes Kostas Tzim

What does "without any loss of generality" mean?

"Without any loss of generality" is a phrase commonly used in mathematical and scientific contexts. It means that a statement or argument is true for all cases, without any exceptions. In other words, the statement or argument holds true regardless of specific details or conditions.

Why is "without any loss of generality" used in scientific research?

Scientists use the phrase "without any loss of generality" to simplify their statements and arguments. By acknowledging that their findings hold true for all cases, they can avoid having to specify and test every single case individually. This allows for more concise and efficient research.

Can "without any loss of generality" be proven?

No, "without any loss of generality" cannot be proven. It is a logical assumption or hypothesis that is used to simplify and generalize a statement or argument. However, it is still subject to potential exceptions or limitations, and further research may be needed to confirm its validity.

Are there any alternatives to using "without any loss of generality" in scientific research?

Yes, there are other phrases and terms that can be used to convey a similar idea, such as "for all cases" or "in general." However, "without any loss of generality" is a widely accepted and concise way to express this concept in scientific writing.

How does "without any loss of generality" impact the validity of scientific findings?

"Without any loss of generality" does not necessarily impact the validity of scientific findings. It is simply a way to simplify and generalize a statement or argument. The validity of the findings still depends on the soundness of the research methods and the accuracy of the data and conclusions.