1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Without any loss of generality

1. Aug 19, 2015 #1
    Hello guys can someone please explain to me how to use the assertion, "without any loss of generality assume...", i find it kind of tricky to use...a simple example would be useful too. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Context ? Assume WHAT?

4. Aug 19, 2015 #3

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

Tossing out an example: If a and b are distinct real numbers prove that a^2 + b^2 > 2ab.

Proof:

Without loss of generality, assume a > b [... rest of proof ensues ...]

We can make this assumption because a and b are distinct. Either a > b or b > a. If a > b then our assumption is true. If b > a then we could reverse the labels and the re-labelled assumption is true. The rest of the proof would go through either way. There is no point in writing essentially the same proof twice, once with labels a and b and then again with labels b and a.

The "without loss of generality" phrasing is used to indicate that this sort of situation exists -- that all of the cases under consideration are really just re-labellings of a single base case and that no other possibilities exist.

5. Aug 20, 2015 #4
    i understand thanks!

6. Aug 20, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sometimes abbreviated "wlog".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook