1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Worth paying the extra money and upgrading to Wolfram Alpha pro?

1. Aug 12, 2012 #1
    Do you guys think it is worth paying the extra money and upgrading to Wolfram Alpha pro?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2

AGNuke

Gold Member

Re: Wolfram Alpha

Why? As far as I am concerned, I can get all my work from Wolfram|Alpha for free. But if you want to use some hi-fi functions, then you can upgrade, else for simpler work like your integration, free version is same as pro.

4. Aug 12, 2012 #3

bcrowell

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Why not learn how to accomplish the same tasks using free and open-source software such as Maxima, Octave, and Gnuplot? Then you aren't letting a company lock you into their product that costs money. Wolfram is particularly evil. I bought a copy of Mathematica from them in the 90's, then upgraded my computer's OS and it stopped working. I called and asked them how to fix the problem, and they told me to buy a new copy of Mathematica. This was one of the experiences that led me to ditch proprietary software and never look back.

5. Aug 13, 2012 #4

You are correct guys, I will rely on myself and try to accomplish these tasks by myself to improve my mathematical skills.
    Also, considering I'm only a high school student, the free version should be more than enough.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook