Woman standing on a rope problem.

• Thread starter itchy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rope
In summary, a 115 lb woman steps in the middle of a rope that is tied tightly between a car and a tree. This causes the rope to deflect by 15 degrees. Based on this information, the force applied to both the car and the tree is approximately 222 lbs. To calculate the force applied by the woman to the rope, the same method can be used. However, if the woman were standing on the ground instead, she would be applying 115 lbs of force to the ground.
itchy
A car is connected to a tree by a length of rope tied tightly. A 115 lb woman steps in the middle of the rope causing it to deflect by 15 degrees.1) What is the force applied to the car?

2) What is the force applied to the tree?

3) How much force does the woman apply to the rope?

For questions 1 and 2 I arrived at T≈ 222 lbs:
2T (sin 15)=115 lbs
T (0.258)=57.5 lbs
T=57.5 lbs/0.258
T≈222 lbs

My question is in regards to #3. Do I approach that question the same way I did for 1 and 2?

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If she were standing on the ground, how much force would she be applying to the ground?

haruspex said:
If she were standing on the ground, how much force would she be applying to the ground?

Thanks! I initially thought it was that simple, but just over-analyzed it.

1. What is the "Woman standing on a rope problem"?

The "Woman standing on a rope problem" is a physics problem that involves a woman standing on a rope that is suspended between two points. The goal of the problem is to determine the minimum tension in the rope required to keep the woman from falling.

2. What are the factors that affect the solution to this problem?

The factors that affect the solution to this problem include the weight of the woman, the length and thickness of the rope, the distance between the two points, and the angle at which the woman is standing on the rope.

3. How can this problem be solved?

This problem can be solved using the principles of Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. By considering the forces acting on the woman and the rope, the equations of motion can be used to find the minimum tension in the rope.

4. What are the potential real-life applications of this problem?

This problem has applications in various fields such as engineering, construction, and sports. In engineering, it can be used to calculate the tension in cables and ropes used for suspension bridges and cranes. In sports, it can be used to determine the maximum weight a tightrope walker can safely carry.

5. Are there any variations of this problem?

Yes, there are variations of this problem that involve different scenarios such as a person walking on a plank suspended between two buildings or a person standing on a seesaw. The principles and equations used to solve the "Woman standing on a rope problem" can also be applied to these variations.