Women and men around the table probability question

In summary: Ok Dick, for (i) I think it's (2n)! and for (ii) I'd say it will be n!.n!. Is it ok?Yes, it's correct.
twoflower

Homework Statement

Let's have 2n persons, n men and n women. Suppose they sit randomly around a table with 2n chairs. What is the probability that no two persons of the same sex will sit next to each other?

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my idea:

I will model this situation with classic probability. The set of all possible events (ie. the ways the people will sit around the table) is set of all strings consisting of 'W' and 'M' of length 2n. The only strings which satisfy our condition is

WMWMWM...WM
and
MWMWMW...MW

Number of all possibilities is [itex]2^{2n}[/itex], ie. the probability will be

[tex]
\frac{1}{2^{2n-1}}
[/tex]

Is this solution correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, there are several different possible arrangements corresponding to a given string of M's and W's, so you should also show that every string corresponds to the same number of arrangements.

Assuming you've done this, you have still overcounted these strings, since you've included any string consisting of M's and W's, eg, MM...MM, WW...WW, etc. You need to limit to those with the same number of M's and W's.

StatusX said:
First, there are several different possible arrangements corresponding to a given string of M's and W's, so you should also show that every string corresponds to the same number of arrangements.

Yes, I understand. I don't know how to prove it rigorously, but I guess every string really correspond to the same number of arrangements..

StatusX said:
Assuming you've done this, you have still overcounted these strings, since you've included any string consisting of M's and W's, eg, MM...MM, WW...WW, etc. You need to limit to those with the same number of M's and W's.

You're right, I didn't notice that. But what will be the total amount of strings then?

As I think about it, could it be

[tex]
\left( \begin{array}{cc} 2n \\
n\end{array} \right)
[/tex]

? I mean, I have 2n positions and I draw n positions out of them for let's say men and these positions will uniquely determine the rest of the stiring.

Is it now correct?

twoflower said:
Let's have 2n persons, n men and n women. Suppose they sit randomly around a table with 2n chairs. What is the probability that no two persons of the same sex will sit next to each other?[tex]
\frac{1}{2^{2n-1}}
[/tex]

Is this solution correct?

Designate the women [itex]\lbrace W_1, W_2, \cdots, W_n \}[/itex], the men [itex]\{ M_1, M_2, \cdots, M_n\} [/itex], and the chairs [itex]\{ C_1, C_2, \cdots, C_{2n} \}[/itex]. A seating arrangement is a mapping of the union of the two gender sets to the set of chairs.

Consider the simplest possible case, one man and one woman. There are only two possible seating arrangements: [itex]\{ M_1,W_1 \} \to \{ C_1,C_2 \}[/itex] and [itex]\{ W_1,M_1 \} \to \{ C_1,C_2 \}[/itex]. So in the case [itex]n=1[/itex], the probability that no two persons of the same sex will sit next to each other is zero.

Another way to look at this problem is to forget half of the problem (i.e., forget the men or forget the women). If two men are sitting next to one another then so are two women. The problem is equivalent to asking, "what is the probability that n integers drawn without replacement from the set of integers from 1 to 2n are all odd or all even?"

D H said:
Another way to look at this problem is to forget half of the problem (i.e., forget the men or forget the women). If two men are sitting next to one another then so are two women. The problem is equivalent to asking, "what is the probability that n integers drawn without replacement from the set of integers from 1 to 2n are all odd or all even?"

Is the probability

[tex]
\frac{2}{\left( \begin{array}{cc} 2n \\n\end{array} \right)}
[/tex]

?

Think of it this way. Pick a starting chair and seat people around the table. Compute two numbers i) the number of ways to pick people without restriction from a pool of 2*n people and ii) the number of ways to pick people alternately from two groups of n. It's actually pretty easy. Now it's your turn. Tell me what to do with those two numbers?

Dick said:
Think of it this way. Pick a starting chair and seat people around the table. Compute two numbers i) the number of ways to pick people without restriction from a pool of 2*n people and ii) the number of ways to pick people alternately from two groups of n. It's actually pretty easy. Now it's your turn. Tell me what to do with those two numbers?

Ok Dick, for (i) I think it's [itex](2n)![/itex] and for (ii) I'd say it will be [itex]n!.n![/itex]. Is it ok?

But I don't know how to use or relate these two numbers, could you tell me a hint?

Almost! Just remember in the case of ii) you also have the choice of whether to start with men or women. Now think. i) is all possible seatings. ii) is all alternate seatings. How do I turn this is into a probability?

Dick said:
Almost! Just remember in the case of ii) you also have the choice of whether to start with men or women. Now think. i) is all possible seatings. ii) is all alternate seatings. How do I turn this is into a probability?

So the final probability will be

[tex]
\frac{2n!n!}{(2n)!} = \frac{2}{\left( \begin{array}{cc} 2n \\n\end{array} \right)}
[/tex]

?

That's my guess. I see you posted that before. I didn't recognize the correct answer in that form. Sorry!

Dick said:
That's my guess. I see you posted that before. I didn't recognize the correct answer in that form. Sorry!

No problem, it's always better for me to see there are more ways how to look at the problem (in case it's the correct answer, of course :smile: )

Thank you very much for your help!

1. What is the probability of having an equal number of men and women around the table?

The probability depends on the total number of people around the table and the gender ratio of the group. If there are an equal number of men and women in the group, the probability would be 50%. However, if the gender ratio is not equal, the probability would be different.

2. How does the number of people around the table affect the probability?

The more people there are around the table, the higher the probability of having an equal number of men and women. This is because as the group size increases, the chances of having an equal number of men and women also increase.

3. Is it possible to calculate the exact probability?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the exact probability using the formula for probability. The number of favorable outcomes (having an equal number of men and women) divided by the total number of possible outcomes (all possible combinations of men and women around the table).

4. Does the order of seating matter in this probability question?

No, the order of seating does not affect the probability. As long as the total number of men and women around the table remains the same, the probability will remain the same regardless of the order of seating.

5. How can this probability question be applied in real-life situations?

This probability question can be applied in various social settings, such as dinner parties, meetings, and conferences. It can also be used in studies and research on gender diversity and representation in different groups and organizations.