Wondering what physics to go into

• Physics
  • Thread starter Chas3down
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, If you want to study exotic matter(negative energy) in hopes to further refine the alcubierre drive, solving some of the problems with it like how to harness negative energy(if it is even possible?) Or study other possible forms of Faster than light travel.. I recommend studying theoretical physics with a focus on general relativity.
Chas3down
I want to study exotic matter(negative energy) in hopes to further refine the alcubierre drive, solving some of the problems with it like how to harness negative energy(if it is even possible?) Or study other possible forms of Faster than light travel.. What sort of physics should I pursue? I am between astrophysics Or theoretical.. anyone have any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
As all those things are just speculation: Theoretical physics, probably with a focus on general relativity. Concerning negative energy, some courses in QFT might be relevant, too.

I am guessing you haven't studied much physics yet. When you major in physics, you get a degree in physics: there's no specialization, although you usually get to take an elective or two in something that interests you. It's not until graduate school when you begin to specialize.

Yes, I am talking about graduate school.

Chas3down said:

Well then you'll be needing to find an advisor to fund and guide you in your studies of warp drives and wormholes, which I suspect will be quite difficult indeed.

There's nothing really wrong with thinking about and studying these topics, but just that trying to do a PhD about them is career suicide (not to mention probably impossible to begin with).

Alright thanks for the advice, that's a really good point

Chas3down said:

Then I agree with mfb, general relativity and quantum field theory.

A review you might like to look at:
http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.4474.

I also recommend this excellent less technical book
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0226224988/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

Even though this book is not technical, it was written by experts in the field, it outlines how quantum field theory places restriction on exotic matter, and it has an excellent bibliography of technical references.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that looks like some good material

What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand and explain the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe on both the macroscopic and microscopic levels.

What are the different fields of physics?

There are several major fields of physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and relativity. Within these fields, there are also various subfields such as astrophysics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics.

How do I choose which field of physics to pursue?

Choosing a field of physics to go into can be a daunting task, but it ultimately comes down to your interests and strengths. Consider what topics you find most fascinating and what skills you excel at. You may also want to speak with other physicists or do some research on different fields to gain a better understanding of their scope and potential career paths.

What skills are necessary for a career in physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving is essential for a career in physics. Additionally, critical thinking, curiosity, creativity, and the ability to think abstractly are valuable skills for a physicist. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important for collaboration and presenting research findings.

What are some common career options for physicists?

Physicists have a wide range of career options in various industries, including research and development, academia, government agencies, and private companies. Some common job titles for physicists include research scientist, data analyst, engineer, professor, and science writer. Many physicists also pursue careers in fields such as finance, software development, and consulting.