1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Wondering what physics to go into

1. Dec 26, 2012 #1
    I want to study exotic matter(negative energy) in hopes to further refine the alcubierre drive, solving some of the problems with it like how to harness negative energy(if it is even possible?) Or study other possible forms of Faster than light travel.. What sort of physics should I pursue? I am between astrophysics Or theoretical.. anyone have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As all those things are just speculation: Theoretical physics, probably with a focus on general relativity. Concerning negative energy, some courses in QFT might be relevant, too.

4. Dec 26, 2012 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I am guessing you haven't studied much physics yet. When you major in physics, you get a degree in physics: there's no specialization, although you usually get to take an elective or two in something that interests you. It's not until graduate school when you begin to specialize.

5. Dec 26, 2012 #4
    Yes, I am talking about graduate school.

6. Dec 26, 2012 #5

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Well then you'll be needing to find an advisor to fund and guide you in your studies of warp drives and wormholes, which I suspect will be quite difficult indeed.

There's nothing really wrong with thinking about and studying these topics, but just that trying to do a PhD about them is career suicide (not to mention probably impossible to begin with).

7. Dec 26, 2012 #6
    Alright thanks for the advice, that's a really good point

8. Dec 26, 2012 #7

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then I agree with mfb, general relativity and quantum field theory.

A review you might like to look at:
    http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.4474.

I also recommend this excellent less technical book
    https://www.amazon.com/Time-Travel-Warp-Drives-Scientific/dp/0226224988/ref=pd_sim_b_1.

Even though this book is not technical, it was written by experts in the field, it outlines how quantum field theory places restriction on exotic matter, and it has an excellent bibliography of technical references.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Dec 26, 2012 #8
    Thanks, that looks like some good material

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook