1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Word force and friction problem

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am pulling my cousin who has a mass of 10kg, geets all bundled up and sits in the sled, which has a mass of 15kg. He yells ready,set,go and I start to pull him across the snow. I am pulling the sled at an angle of 50degrees with respect to the horizontal. Assume that the coefficient of static friction between the sled and the snow is Ms=.2 if I pull him across the snow with a force of 200N, fine the following values.

A) Find the acceleration of my cousin and the sled without friction
    B)find acceleration with friction included

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have to start this out by showing an attempt and explaining what is confusing you about the problem or by giving some appropriate formulas and explaining why you can't even start.

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3
    I can find the answers, but I have a question about finding the acceleration of the cart. When it asks me to find the acceleration of the car with the cousin inside it does that mean the carts weight+kids weight?

5. Nov 15, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are pulling both the kid and the sled. Yes, add their masses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?