Dynamic coeffecient of friction Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the static and dynamic coefficients of friction between a football blocking sled and grass, and how to determine the maximal static frictional force when a coach is standing on top of the sled. It is mentioned that the dynamic friction is greater than the static friction, and the conversation then explains the relationship between the two types of friction. The conversation also addresses the calculation and understanding of when the dynamic friction is greater than the static friction.
pennywise1234

Homework Statement

The static co-efficient of friction between a football blocking sled (90 kg) and grass is 0.56. (i) If an80 kg coach stands on top of the blocking sled, what is the maximal static frictional force?(ii) Will the dynamic co-efficient of friction between the sled (with the coach on top) and grass be greater than,less than or equal to 0.56?

Homework Equations

To solve for (i) i used frictional force= coefficient force x normal force

3. The Attempt at a Solution

for (i) i got frictional force to equal= 933N

I want to know how to solve for (ii) why is it less than 0.56 thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The static friction tells you the minimum force needed to get something moving.
The dynamic friction tells the force to keep something moving at a constant speed.
If the dynamic friction were bigger than the static, that means the force to keep something moving is bigger than the force to get it moving ... does that make sense?

yes it does, but how do I know when the dynamic is greater than the static? Is there a calculation? or is it usually said in the problem thanks

How does that make sense to you?
If the force to keep something moving is bigger than the force to start it moving then how does anything move?

1. What is the dynamic coefficient of friction?

The dynamic coefficient of friction is a measure of the force required to keep an object moving across a surface. It is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of the frictional force to the normal force between two surfaces.

2. How is the dynamic coefficient of friction different from the static coefficient of friction?

The static coefficient of friction represents the resistance to motion when an object is at rest, while the dynamic coefficient of friction represents the resistance to motion when an object is in motion. The dynamic coefficient of friction is typically lower than the static coefficient of friction.

3. What factors affect the dynamic coefficient of friction?

The dynamic coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors including the roughness of the surfaces, the material properties of the surfaces, the speed of the object, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

4. How is the dynamic coefficient of friction measured?

The dynamic coefficient of friction can be measured using a device called a tribometer, which applies a known force to an object and measures the resulting frictional force as the object moves across a surface. This measurement can also be calculated by dividing the frictional force by the normal force.

5. Why is the dynamic coefficient of friction important?

The dynamic coefficient of friction is important in many industries, as it can affect the performance and efficiency of moving parts and machinery. It is also important in designing and testing products such as tires, brake pads, and sports equipment, to ensure they have the appropriate level of friction for their intended use.