Force with friction problem(determine a force by the angle)

In summary, a block of mass m on a horizontal table is pulled by a force F at an angle θ. The minimum force required to move the block depends on the angle θ and is influenced by the coefficient of static friction. For angles larger than 0°, the force of friction decreases, resulting in a larger net force and thus a larger value of F. For angles smaller than 0°, the opposite is true. When computing the force for specific angles, an equation involving the normal force and the force of friction can be used. The correct solution involves adding μsinθ instead of subtracting it.
suyashr99

Homework Statement

A block of mass m rests on a horizontal table. The block is pulled by a massless rope with a force F at an angle θ. The coefficient of static friction is 0.60. The minimum value of the force needed to move the block depends on the angle θ
a)Discuss qualitatively how you would expect the magnitude of this force to depend on θ.
b) Compute the force for the angles θ = 0°, 10°, 20°, 30°, 40°, 50°, and 60°, and make a plot of F versus θ for mg = 421.3 N. From your plot, at what angle is it most efficient to apply the force to move the block?​

Homework Equations

F= ma
F(fric)= μ(N)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) If the angle were to be increased, the normal force would be less. Therefore, the force of friction would less too, making the net force larger. If the net force is larger that means F would also be larger. This would be the opposite if the angle was decreased

For b) N = mg - Fsinθ
F(Fric) = Fcosθ
μ(mg- Fsinθ) = Fcosθ
Fcosθ - μFsinθ = μ*mg
F(cosθ -μsinθ) = μ*mg
F = μ*mg / cosθ - μsinθ
Using this, I only got force F at 0 degrees right. The rest were all wrong. Would I need calculus to solve this problem (haven't learned it yet.) Please guide me in the right direction for this problem.

[Edit: I made a simple sign mistake. I should have added μsinθ in the denominator.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
suyashr99 said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass m rests on a horizontal table. The block is pulled by a massless rope with a force F at an angle θ. The coefficient of static friction is 0.60. The minimum value of the force needed to move the block depends on the angle θ
a)Discuss qualitatively how you would expect the magnitude of this force to depend on θ.
b) Compute the force for the angles θ = 0°, 10°, 20°, 30°, 40°, 50°, and 60°, and make a plot of F versus θ for mg = 421.3 N. From your plot, at what angle is it most efficient to apply the force to move the block?​

Homework Equations

F= ma
F(fric)= μ(N)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) If the angle were to be increased, the normal force would be less. Therefore, the force of friction would less too, making the net force larger. If the net force is larger that means F would also be larger. This would be the opposite if the angle was decreased

For b) N = mg - Fsinθ
F(Fric) = Fcosθ
μ(mg- Fsinθ) = Fcosθ
Fcosθ - μFsinθ = μ*mg
F(cosθ -μsinθ) = μ*mg
F = μ*mg / cosθ - μsinθ
Using this, I only got force F at 0 degrees right. The rest were all wrong. Would I need calculus to solve this problem (haven't learned it yet.) Please guide me in the right direction for this problem.
We can't tell what you did wrong if you don't show your calculations.

SteamKing said:
We can't tell what you did wrong if you don't show your calculations.
Sorry, I ended up figuring out the answer. How do I delete this thread?

suyashr99 said:
Sorry, I ended up figuring out the answer. How do I delete this thread?
You don't. It stays.

SteamKing said:
You don't. It stays.
Oh okay. I accidentally subtracted μsinθ instead of adding by it. Sorry for all the trouble.

1. What is the definition of force with friction?

The force with friction is a type of physical force that occurs when an object moves against another object or surface, resulting in resistance or opposition to the motion.

2. How is force with friction calculated?

Force with friction is calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. How does the angle affect force with friction?

The angle between the two surfaces in contact affects the force with friction as it determines the component of the force that acts perpendicular to the surface. The greater the angle, the smaller the perpendicular force and thus, the smaller the force with friction.

4. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a constant value that represents the degree of friction between two surfaces. It depends on the nature of the surfaces and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (maximum friction).

5. How does the weight of an object affect the force with friction?

The weight of an object affects the force with friction as it determines the normal force acting on the object. The greater the weight, the greater the normal force, and thus, the greater the force with friction.