Word Game: Language-Related Clues and Lingustic Q&A

  • Thread starter Thread starter honestrosewater
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
235 replies · 26K views
You got it - dumbledore. A pretty archaic word - I wonder how JK Rowling came across it...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I can't honestly claim it since I only used Dumbledore as a clue and didn't realize it was the word!
 
I seem to recall that J.R.R. Tolkien used "dumbledore" for bumblebee in one of his poems.

But then again, he loved archaic words, calling spiders addercups on occasion..
 
turbo-1 said:
Since SA has declined, may I offer another, easier word?
hide or exude

Could it be secrete?
 
turbo-1 said:
Yep! The honor is yours...

Just a quicky, stuck speedy.
 
turbo-1 said:
How about "fast"

Absolutely right! Your turn.
 
I don't really know what you're looking for, but does it have something to do with rank?
 
Woohoo! Okay, try this one.

In this language, English speakers might refer to themselves with disgust if they mispronounce this sound. (So what's the language and one of the names of the sound?)
 
turbo-1 said:
How about "Feh!" = Yiddish interjection.
No, but that's interesting. The sound I'm thinking of is part of a very common word that literally refers to the person who says it.
 
English speakers might refer to themselves with disgust if they mispronounce this sound.
This is confusing to me. If it's a sound, I am guessing that means one syllable? :confused:

Then how can one refer to oneself with disgust in one syllable.

I can think of something like 'blech', but I am probably in the wrong direction.

or do you mean 'Ich' (Deutsch) pronounced as 'Ick'?
 
Astronuc said:
or do you mean 'Ich' (Deutsch) pronounced as 'Ick'?
Yep, I was thinking of the voiceless palatal fricative [ç] in the German word ich (I) being pronounced as a [k], giving English ick. Several things seem to come together to make it a common mistake. I just made (and am still making when not careful) the mistake myself. :biggrin:

Your turn. :smile:
 
Last edited:
It might be the Neo-Norwegian "Eg" (which means "I") (It is pronounced roughly as "egg", but with a long vowel)
 
With one endowed, one can build it and support an Empire.
 
Can I support an umpire with that endowment as well?
 
Lisa! said:
Peace!
10 char limit[/color]
That would work, but that is not the word. I was thinking of something more in terms of substance or material.
 
Astronuc said:
With one endowed, one can build it and support an Empire.
This is too difficult.
You can be endowed with an inheritance, dowry, or other things.

But what help is it in any of this in order to build&support an Empire?? :confused: