Word problem leading to simple equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter NotaMathPerson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Word problem
In summary, the problem asks for the rate at which B travels after A has walked 15 miles. After computing the rate at which B travels after A has walked 15 miles, it is found that it takes B 3 hours to travel the same distance. After 6 hours, B has traveled 30 miles more than A.
NotaMathPerson
Hello! I need on these problems

My attempt in prob 38

$x=$ number of candidates failed
$4x=$ number of candidates passed
$5x=$ total number of candidates

From the given scenerio we add 14 more cadidates
$5x+14$

Six less failed
$x-6=$ new number of candidtes failed
$4x+6=$ new number of cadidates passed

Now

$5x+14-(x-6)=$ new number candidates passed

Then
$5x+14-(x-6)=5(x-6)$
Solving for x

$x=50$

Therefore $5x=5*50=250$ candidates.

But when I did the reverese

$5x+14-(4x+6)=$ new number of candidates failed

Then
$4x+6=5(5x+14-(4x+6))$
$4x+6=5(x+8)$

Solving for x gives a different answer.

The first answer agrees with the answer from the book.

Can you tell why I get different answers from the different methods I presented? Thanks much!

Attachments

• algebra word.jpg
    algebra word.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 51
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, I can tell you that.

When you write:

$5x + 14 - (x - 6) = 5(x - 6)$

To get:

$4x + 20 = 5x - 30$

and thus:

$50 = x$

you are perfectly correct.

However, if there are $14$ additional candidates, and $6$ fewer failed, then that means that not only do we add that $6$ to the number of candidates that pass, but we must also add the $14$ additional candidates, so that the new number of candidates that passed is:

$4x + 6 + 14 = 4x + 20$.

So now you should have had, in your second method:

$5x + 14 - (4x + 20)$ = new number of failed candidates

$4x + 20 = 5 (5x + 14 - (4x + 20))$
$4x + 20 = 25x + 70 - 20x - 100$
$4x + 20 = 5x - 30$
$4x + 50 = 5x$
$50 = x$

which agrees with method 1.

Deveno said:
Yes, I can tell you that.

When you write:

$5x + 14 - (x - 6) = 5(x - 6)$

To get:

$4x + 20 = 5x - 30$

and thus:

$50 = x$

you are perfectly correct.

However, if there are $14$ additional candidates, and $6$ fewer failed, then that means that not only do we add that $6$ to the number of candidates that pass, but we must also add the $14$ additional candidates, so that the new number of candidates that passed is:

$4x + 6 + 14 = 4x + 20$.

So now you should have had, in your second method:

$5x + 14 - (4x + 20)$ = new number of failed candidates

$4x + 20 = 5 (5x + 14 - (4x + 20))$
$4x + 20 = 25x + 70 - 20x - 100$
$4x + 20 = 5x - 30$
$4x + 50 = 5x$
$50 = x$

which agrees with method 1.

Does it mean the 14 new candidates passed?. The problem did not say that they passed. Why is that? I am still confused.

Hello everyone! This is my solution for prob 34. Kindly check if I got it right.

Let $x=$ B's rate for the first part of the walk
$2x=$ B's rate when A has traveled 15 miles.

Now, A has a rate of $5$mph for the entire walk. Assuming they started walking at the same time, it woukd take A $3$ hrs to travel $15$ miles.
That time B has traveled $3x$ miles.
So after $6$ hrs, A has traveled $30$ more miles while B has travled $12x$ miles. The total distance traveled by A and B is $45$ miles

So $12x+3x=45$ the sum of distances traveled by B in first $3$ hrs and the next $6$ hrs where he has doubled his rate

Solving for $x=3$ mph.

Am I correct? And if possible can you show me another way of solving it? Thanks!

NotaMathPerson said:
Hello everyone! This is my solution for prob 34. Kindly check if I got it right.

Let $x=$ B's rate for the first part of the walk
$2x=$ B's rate when A has traveled 15 miles.

Now, A has a rate of $5$mph for the entire walk. Assuming they started walking at the same time, it woukd take A $3$ hrs to travel $15$ miles.
That time B has traveled $3x$ miles.
So after $6$ hrs, A has traveled $30$ more miles while B has travled $12x$ miles. The total distance traveled by A and B is $45$ miles

So $12x+3x=45$ the sum of distances traveled by B in first $3$ hrs and the next $6$ hrs where he has doubled his rate

Solving for $x=3$ mph.

Am I correct? And if possible can you show me another way of solving it? Thanks!

I would solve the problem in the same way...the distance walked by both is 45 miles...and B walks for 3 hours with velocity $v$ (in mph) and 6 hours with velocity $2v$, hence:

\(\displaystyle 45=3v+6(2v)=15v\implies v=3\)

MarkFL said:
I would solve the problem in the same way...the distance walked by both is 45 miles...and B walks for 3 hours with velocity $v$ (in mph) and 6 hours with velocity $2v$, hence:

\(\displaystyle 45=3v+6(2v)=15v\implies v=3\)

Hello MarkFl!

Could you take a look at prob 38. Because I don't understand why the 14 additional candidates is added to the number of candidates who passed successfuly. Because the problem did not state that these 14 additional passed. Thank you!

NotaMathPerson said:
Hello MarkFl!

Could you take a look at prob 38. Because I don't understand why the 14 additional candidates is added to the number of candidates who passed successfuly. Because the problem did not state that these 14 additional passed. Thank you!

Think about it...if 14 more candidates are added, and at the same time 6 fewer fail, then it can only be that 20 more passed than initially. :)

NotaMathPerson said:
Does it mean the 14 new candidates passed?. The problem did not say that they passed. Why is that? I am still confused.

We don't know that all 14 "extra" candidates passed-but what we do know is that 6 fewer failed OVERALL.

We have 6 fewer failures, and 14 more people. Suppose our original number of candidates is $n$. Of these, we have $x$ successes, and $y$ failures, so:

$x + y = n$.

Now we add 14 people, so we have $n + 14$, and the new number of failures is $y - 6$. What is the new number of successes?

$? + (y - 6) = n + 14$
$? + y - 6 = x + y + 14$
$? - 6 = x + 14$
$? - 6 + 6 = x + 14 + 6$
$? + 0 = x + 20$
$? = x + 20$

So, 20 more successes than before. Note that whatever $n$ is/was, does not affect our determination of the number of new successes.

1. What is a word problem leading to a simple equation?

A word problem leading to a simple equation is a mathematical problem that is presented in a written or spoken format and requires the use of a basic mathematical equation to solve. These types of problems often involve real-life scenarios and require the use of mathematical skills to find a solution.

2. How do I identify a word problem leading to a simple equation?

Word problems leading to simple equations typically involve a specific situation or scenario and require the use of mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. They may also include keywords such as "total," "difference," "product," or "quotient" to indicate which mathematical operation should be used.

3. What are the steps to solving a word problem leading to a simple equation?

The first step is to read the problem carefully and identify the given information and what is being asked to find. Then, translate the problem into a mathematical equation using the given information. Next, solve the equation using the appropriate mathematical operations. Finally, check your solution to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving word problems leading to simple equations?

Some common mistakes to avoid include misinterpreting the given information, using the wrong mathematical operations, and making calculation errors. It is also important to double-check your solution to ensure it makes sense and is consistent with the given information in the problem.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving word problems leading to simple equations?

The best way to improve your skills is to practice solving a variety of word problems leading to simple equations. This will help you become more familiar with different types of problems and the strategies needed to solve them. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a specific concept or type of problem.