Word problems : quadratic functions

In summary, to maximize orange production, the farmer should have 25 trees per hectare, resulting in a yield of 6250 oranges. This can be determined by setting up a quadratic equation, with the number of trees and the number of oranges per tree as variables, and solving for the maximum value using the formula (-b)/2a. It can also be helpful to work out examples and define variables in word problems to get a better understanding of the problem. Practice with word problems can also improve problem-solving skills.
someguy37
1. A farmer grows orange trees. He has 20 trees/hectare with 300 oranges/tree. When adding another tree to a hectare, the amount of oranges decreases by ten. What is the max yield of trees. (They want to know how many trees they should have in a hectare to maximize their orange production.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I figured out what to do, but I'm just missing one piece. So, you'll have 2 linear equations when multiplied together will give a quadratic function. For the amount of oranges per tree, I figured to be (300 - 10x). But as for the trees per hectare, I can't seem to get an equation. Very mind boggling.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
someguy37 said:
1. A farmer grows orange trees. He has 20 trees/hectare with 300 oranges/tree. When adding another tree to a hectare, the amount of oranges decreases by ten. What is the max yield of trees. (They want to know how many trees they should have in a hectare to maximize their orange production.)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I figured out what to do, but I'm just missing one piece. So, you'll have 2 linear equations when multiplied together will give a quadratic function. For the amount of oranges per tree, I figured to be (300 - 10x). But as for the trees per hectare, I can't seem to get an equation. Very mind boggling.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Don't think your initial equation is quite right. Try filling in the numbers below to get a feel for the equations you want to write:

19*310=
20*300=
21*290=
etc.
25*250=
26*240=
27*230=
28*220=
etc.

Ok.

I see the pattern, but I'm having a lot of difficulty putting it in an equation.

Good, you at least see the pattern, and how there is a maximum number of oranges at 25 trees per hectare. You should also see kind of how to set up an equation for the number of oranges per hectare. Let T be the number of trees, and N be the number of oranges per hectare. Try writing the equation for N in terms of T, using the form that I posted the example calculations in... show us what you get.

BTW, to maximize the number N, what technique are you taught? Do you use differentiation, or do you have a different technique that you are learning now?

Well, we're supposed to derive a quadratic equation from the problem. After having that, we use (-b)/2a to find the value of x, which gives the max.

As for the equation, I get

N = T * 300...but I know the 300 part is wrong. I'm missing something that isn't clicking.

someguy37 said:
Well, we're supposed to derive a quadratic equation from the problem. After having that, we use (-b)/2a to find the value of x, which gives the max.

As for the equation, I get

N = T * 300...but I know the 300 part is wrong. I'm missing something that isn't clicking.

You're missing the variability with the number of trees T. You are told that for each tree over 20, you lose 10 oranges per tree. You should be able to write the resulting equation...

That equation does result in a quadratic in T...

I'm sorry, but it's really just not clicking. This is Grade 11 Pre-Cal.

N = (20 + T)(300 - 10T)

Last edited:
I'm not wanting you to give me the answer, honestly, but is there another way of giving me a hint?

someguy37 said:
I'm sorry, but it's really just not clicking. This is Grade 11 Pre-Cal.

N = (20 + T)(300 - 10T)

Try using the equations that I posted, and talking through the general equation...

N = the number of trees T, multplied by 300 oranges per tree, less 10 oranges for each tree over 20...

N = T * (300 - ____ ( ______ ))

ok, I got it now! Still, I find these sort of problems very hard to figure out. Are there steps I can follow to make it easier?

Thank you very much! I really appreciate the help!

someguy37 said:
ok, I got it now! Still, I find these sort of problems very hard to figure out. Are there steps I can follow to make it easier?

Good, glad you figured it out.

As for steps for setting up equations in word problems, one help is to work out a few examples of the numbers, like I showed in my first post above. That helps you start to get a feel for what is going on, and heck in this case, showed us both the answer right off the bat (so we could check our answer later).

Then, define the variable names, and sound out in words what you are trying to write as an equation. In this case, we wanted the number of oranges, and we knew it was based on the number of trees, and modified by another factor that also depended on the number of trees.

In more complicated word problems, you will end up with some number of equations and some number of unknowns (usually equal, if you have figured out all the applicable equations). One trick in those problems is to see how the problem is really "physical", that is, the equations you write constrain and define the problem well enough so that there is only one solution. Like when two lines intersect, if you constrain the equations of the two lines, you are physically constraining where they intersect. The intersection point cannot move anywhere, without changing part of the definition like an angle. Just like if you build a triangle out of boards, where the two far boards come together is defined by the lengths of the boards.

Hope that helps. Another thing that helps is to do as many word problems as you can. The more you do, the more comfortable and better you will get. Do all the problems in the chapter if you can, even if they're not homework. Or at least the last few hard ones, as practice.

What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a polynomial function of the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable. It is a type of non-linear function that has a parabolic shape when graphed.

How do you solve a word problem involving quadratic functions?

To solve a word problem involving quadratic functions, you first need to identify the given information and assign variables to represent unknown quantities. Then, use the given information to create an equation in the form of a quadratic function. Finally, solve the equation using methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula.

What are the different methods for solving quadratic functions?

The main methods for solving quadratic functions are factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. Factoring involves finding common factors of the quadratic equation and using the zero product property to solve for the variables. Completing the square involves manipulating the equation to create a perfect square trinomial and then solving for the variables. The quadratic formula is a formula that can be used to directly solve for the variables in a quadratic equation.

How do you determine the number of solutions to a quadratic function?

The number of solutions to a quadratic function can be determined by looking at the discriminant, which is the part of the quadratic formula inside the square root (b^2 - 4ac). If the discriminant is positive, there are two real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. And if it is negative, there are no real solutions (only complex solutions).

What are some real-life applications of quadratic functions?

Quadratic functions have many real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a moving object, modeling the growth or decay of a population, and analyzing the profit and loss of a business. They are also used in engineering, physics, and other fields to solve problems and make predictions based on data.