Quadratic Functions Word Problem

The problem involves constructing a rectangular enclosure with a high surrounding fence and a lower inside fence, with a budget of 2400 dollars. The high fence costs 8 dollars per foot and the low fence costs 4 dollars per foot. To find the dimensions and maximum area of each half of the enclosure, an equation for the area enclosed and another for the cost of the fence are needed. Using substitution and completing the square, the dimensions of the sides are found to be 75 feet by 60 feet.
darshanpatel

Homework Statement

Your budget for constructing a rectangular enclosure which consists of a high surrounding fence and a lower inside fence that divides the enclosure in half is 2400 dollars. The high fence costs 8 dollars per foot and the low fence costs 4 dollars per foot. Find the dimensions and the maximum area of each half of the enclosure.

Homework Equations

-None-

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you probably have to figure out how much each type of fencing is going to cost then divide that for the particular fence giving you the dimensions. I don't know how to set up the proper formula for getting it though. I tried 16x+8y=2400 then solving for y and plugging it back in but I keep going in circles. I couldn't get much further than that because I am confused.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, draw a picture of this problem. Remember, you are trying to maximize area enclosed while staying under budget with the purchase of the fence. You are going to need to write an equation for the area enclosed by the fence and another equation for the cost of the fence.

there is a picture in the book but I still don't understand it

Area= xy
Cost of fence, 8x+4y=2400 ?

?

Image:

8ZYmfeM.png

Last edited:
Let x be length, y be height:

Low Fence = y.
2*8*x = Cost of Horizontal Fence
2*8*y + 4*y = Cost of Vertical Fence + Cost of Low Fence

16x + 20y = 2400

Thus, y = (2400-16x)/20

You might need calculus from here onward. Did you learn calculus?

I am in precalculus
After you solve for y do you plug it back into the original equation?

No, you shouldn't. I'm not very sure how to do this in this case, because I only know the Calculus method, sorry

The enclosed area A=xy must be maximum. Substitute for y: You get a quadratic function A(x). If you plot it, at what x is the peak of the parabola? (Use completing the square)

ehild

Thanks for the help I just used x=-b/2a to find h and subbed it back in for k giving me (h, k) the vertex which are the lengths 75' x 60' of the sides

1. What is a quadratic function word problem?

A quadratic function word problem is a real-world scenario that can be represented by a quadratic equation, which is an equation in the form of y = ax^2 + bx + c. These problems involve finding the maximum or minimum value, roots, or other key points of the function.

2. How do I solve a quadratic function word problem?

To solve a quadratic function word problem, you can follow these steps:1. Read the problem carefully and identify the key information.2. Write down the quadratic equation that represents the problem.3. Use algebraic methods, such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula, to solve for the unknown variable.4. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation to see if it makes sense in the context of the problem.

3. What are some common real-life examples of quadratic function word problems?

Quadratic function word problems can be found in various fields, such as physics, engineering, finance, and biology. Some examples include finding the maximum height of a projectile, determining the optimal dimensions of a rectangular garden, and calculating the profit or loss of a business based on the number of units sold.

4. Why are quadratic function word problems important?

Quadratic function word problems help us understand and apply mathematical concepts to real-life situations. They also allow us to practice problem-solving skills and critical thinking, which are essential in many fields of study and work.

5. What are some strategies for approaching quadratic function word problems?

Here are some tips for solving quadratic function word problems:1. Draw a diagram or graph to visualize the problem.2. Label the variables and define what they represent.3. Use the given information to set up the equation.4. Choose the most appropriate method to solve the equation.5. Check your solution to ensure it makes sense in the context of the problem.